$_SESSION (philosophical question)

ChenXiu

To prevent misuse on some $_GET and $_POST pages, I use sessions to make sure Get, Post, and other variables aren't monkeyed with.

Example:
if($_SESSION["ordernumber"] !== $_POST["ordernumber"]) { exit(header("location:goAwayHacker.com")); }

When I reviewed my final code, I've used lots of individual sessions to do the checks-and-balances:
e.g. $_SESSION["ordernumber"], $_SESSION["userid"], $_SESSION["sku_numbers"], $_SESSION["date"], $_SESSION["this"], $_SESSION["that"], $_SESSION["etc"]

Question:
Would having just ONE big session as an array containing all the aforementioned sessions be equally secure?
Does having one big session as an array make PHP work harder and slow things down?
$_SESSION["security"] = array(
'ordernumber' => '1234',
'userid' => 'MyDogRover',
etc. etc. etc.....

So, for example, instead of
if($_SESSION["ordernumber"] !== $_POST["ordernumber"]) { exit(header("location:goAwayHacker.com")); }
... I would do:
if($_SESSION["security"]["ordernumber"] !== $_POST["ordernumber"]) { exit(header("location:goAwayHacker.com")); }

Thank you.

Edited by ChenXiu

You can only have one session at a time.  Not sure what you are thinking of when you talk about 'ONE big session'.

How's this?  How do you know that the items saved in you session vars were tinkered with when you first saw them?  You then compare them to the latest version of your post data and they might be wrong already.

2 hours ago, ChenXiu said:

So, for example, instead of
... I would do:
if($_SESSION["security"]["ordernumber"] !== $_POST["ordernumber"]) { exit(header("location:goAwayHacker.com")); }

The whole thing is kind of silly.  If you're going to store the data in the session, then just use the session and stop using $_POST.

43 minutes ago, kicken said:

The whole thing is kind of silly.  If you're going to store the data in the session, then just use the session and stop using $_POST.

Silly? Really?
So if I have <input type="hidden" name="price value="50.00">, you think it's silly to set $_SESSION["price"] = '50.00'; and on destination page check that $_SESSION["price"] == $_POST["price"]
I'm wondering why "the whole thing is silly."

Thank you.

3 hours ago, ginerjm said:

You can only have one session at a time.  Not sure what you are thinking of when you talk about 'ONE big session'.

Correct, one session at a time.
By "One big session," I mean place the session variables under one named variable.

Analogy: imagine a manila folder containing photos of fruits.
Option 1.)
Manila folder is  unlabeled:
$_SESSION["apple"] = 'red';
$_SESSION["grape"] = 'green';
$_SESSION["lemon"] = 'yellow';
Option 2.)
Manila folder is  labeled "fruit":
$_SESSION["fruit"]["apple"] = 'red';
$_SESSION["fruit"]["grape"] = 'green';
$_SESSION["fruit"]["lemon"] = 'yellow';

I'm trying to learn PHP best practices. Which is "best practice?"

How do you know that the items saved in you session vars were tinkered with when you first saw them?

I know, because my PHP code generates the $ordernumber value, and immediately places it in session before serving to browser.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, ChenXiu said:

Silly? Really?
So if I have <input type="hidden" name="price value="50.00">, you think it's silly to set $_SESSION["price"] = '50.00'; and on destination page check that $_SESSION["price"] == $_POST["price"]
I'm wondering why "the whole thing is silly."

Thank you.

Yes, because if you have a way to put it into $_SESSION that you trust, then there's no point in having the <input> at all.  Just delete it and use $_SESSION['price'] where you need it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.