MySQL Updates Will not Save in PHP

Alans

I have crated a form and the DML to update the data in a MySQL database.  I have confirmed the data is coming over from the form however it is not getting saved/committed to the database.   The user in the DB connection $db_elect has full privileges to the database.  I have tried all of these with no luck

$db_elect->commit();

$sql_commit = mysqli_query($db_elect ,"COMMIT");

if ( !mysqli_commit($db_elect) )
   { $sql_commit = 'FAILED'; }

Here is the update statement.  When it is ran I get no errors in the error_log file

$sql_result_update = mysqli_query( $db_elect
                                       ,"UPDATE campaign_positions
                                            SET  position_text  = '$lv_position_text'
                                                   ,position_actv  = '$lv_position_actv'
                                                   ,position_dt    = '$lv_position_dt'
                                                 ,position_title = '$lv_position_title'
                                                  ,position_order = '$lv_position_order'
                                          WHERE position_id = $lv_position_id");

I had found this, but your error reporting statement works much better. 

error_reporting(E_ALL);
    ini_set('display_errors', 1);

after running again I found it was a data issue.  there was a rogue single quote in my text.  I removed that and now it is working as expected

many thanks

There is no reason to be writing obsolete/insecure php mysql code in 2022.

Literally every veteran member of this forum will offer you the same advice:

• The mysqli_ interface to mysql is annoying to use.  Learn/use PDO instead!
  • There is a fast easy to read guide to using PDO that will teach you everything you need to know, as well as offer best practices.

Whether it be mysqli_ or PDO, all variables should be prepared/bound, as Barand advised.  It's just cleaner/easier to use PDO to write your code.

Now every single person like yourself that is learning, when they receive this suggestion, has the same reaction which is "thanks, I will have to learn PDO ... sometime in the future (aka never) because they will have to learn PDO and rewrite some of their existing code.  

I understand that this is a natural reaction to a learning curve and the unknown.  With that said, aside from understanding how to set up a PDO connection, you really will thank us all later, if you make the change now.  

• Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.