Web safe colors

LeonLatex

I dont know if this belongs here on CSS, on HTML or miscellaneous, but I posted it here on CSS.

I remember back in time we had the standard called web safe colors. Reason why I ask is because

I am not sure if this is something that is applicable today, but how importenat is it with websafe colors today?

Edited by LeonLatex

• LeonLatex changed the title to Web safe colors
11 hours ago, Barand said:

If you are still using that monitor that you bought in 1990, stick with web-safe colors.

As I thought. Like the rest of the world, web colors have moved on. I can see there is some new stuff in my backyard. Got to read me up on #rrggbb, #rgba and #rrggbbaa - and all the new that has come.

Websafe colors is an artifact of the days when memory constrained graphic cards only had support for single byte ( 256 colors) per pixel.  Those days are long gone, and you should not be concerned with the 216 websafe colors unless you are going for some sort of retro color palette.  

• Great Answer 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.