Re-asking PHPBB2 folder level move question.

websiteguy

This is my original question earlier this month:

I'm fairly new to PHP, but not to programming. Anyway, my problem is that I have an established forum as the top level domain. I want to add a Home Page first, but I don't want to reinstall the forum.
I can redirect from the index.php to the Home page, but then how can I have the forum accessed from the Home page and get past the redirect?
I sure would appreciate help.

This is the response I got:

Just move all your files into a folder called forums and put an html page called index.html page in the root with a link to your forums.  The only change you would have to make is changing the url settings in the admin config area from yoursite.com  to yoursite.com/forums.  Pretty simple actually.

I now have the Home Page written and designed, but after thinking about this, and calling my Webhost, I think there are a lot of files that are no longer going to be working because of path errors. Also I think the database will not work anymore.
I am looking for some expert advice before proceeding. Or is the redirect still the best way if I can do as I asked in the first post?
Sorry for the long post. Please help.
Thanks,
Curt

Hi,
  I would like to re-phrase my question. I have uploaded the Home page (index.html) to the root of the PHPBB2 forum site. Everything works from the Home Page link on the forum but still opens directly to the forum page (index.php). How can I have it open to the home page first, and still get to the forum? Is there a conditional redirect I can put in the index.php file?
Thanks,
Curt

Hi,
  Just thought I would let anyone know who wants to do this. The only reason it didn't open to the index.html first was because I was using a favorites link which was cached.
  After typing in the address without using the index call, it went right to the index.html as expected. So that's the solution to adding a index.html page to an existing forum at the top level domain. No need to move the PHPBB2 site down one level.
Thanks, hope it helps someone. A lesson was learned here. Never put a forum site in at the root level. Plan ahead!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.