Logging out multiple users on one click

PNewCode

the simplest, straightforward solution would be to query on each page request to get the current user's status. even though you are not performing any of the actions i listed, you are forcing the user to become logged out.

in the current code you should have login check logic on each protected page, that starts the session and tests if $_SESSION['unique_id'] is or is not set. you would change it to the following to cause a status value of "Offline now" to log the user out and redirect to the logintool.php page -

<?php
// this sets the lifetime to zero and the rest of the values to null
session_set_cookie_params(0);
session_start();

// login check code
if(!isset($_SESSION['unique_id']))
{
	// if not logged in, go elsewhere
	header("location: https://www.peredy1.com/adminchat/logintool.php");
	die;
}

// at this point there's a logged in user, get the user's current status
// note: use 'require' for things your code must have for it to work
require "config.php";

$sql = "SELECT status from users WHERE unique_id = ?";
$stmt = $conn->prepare($sql);
$stmt->bind_param('i', $_SESSION['unique_id']);
$stmt->execute();
$stmt->bind_result($user_status);
$stmt->fetch();

if($user_status === "Offline now")
{
	// force a log-out
	// note: you should only unset() $_SESSION['unique_id'] since a session can contain other pieces of data
	session_unset();
	session_destroy();
	header("location: https://www.peredy1.com/adminchat/logintool.php");
	die;
}

// at this point the user is logged in and can access the rest of the code on the protected page

@mac_gyverI hope that I'm not a nuesence at this point. I tried like crazy to put in your example on the page that is being used itself. And I get the following errors. Any thoughts? And thank you again btw for all the guidance

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at index.php:5) in index.php on line 10

Warning: require(): https:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_include=0 in index.php on line 23

Warning: require(https://www.peredy1.com/adminchat/php/config.php): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in index.php on line 23

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required 'php/config.php' (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php71/root/usr/share/pear') in index.php on line 23

Here is what I have now in the top of the script down to where the page begins it's normal look

You may notice some of the URL is different than my orginal post, this is because this index page is in the same folder now so I didn't need to put a full URL in

<?php 
error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', '1');
?>

<?php
// this sets the lifetime to zero and the rest of the values to null
session_set_cookie_params(0);
session_start();

// login check code
if(!isset($_SESSION['unique_id']))
{
	header("location: logintool.php");
	die;
}

// at this point there's a logged in user, get the user's current status
// note: use 'require' for things your code must have for it to work

require "php/config.php";

$sql = "SELECT status from users WHERE unique_id = ?";
$stmt = $conn->prepare($sql);
$stmt->bind_param('i', $_SESSION['unique_id']);
$stmt->execute();
$stmt->bind_result($user_status);
$stmt->fetch();

if($user_status === "Offline now")
{
	// force a log-out
	// note: you should only unset() $_SESSION['unique_id'] since a session can contain other pieces of data
	session_unset();
	session_destroy();
	die;
}

// at this point the user is logged in and can access the rest of the code on the protected page
?>

<?php include_once "header.php"; ?>

@BarandThank you for that info. I moved the session to the bottom so it is after it but now I get

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at index.php:5) in index.php on line 12

Which is the second line in this

die;

Going back to the original statement of ending the other user's sessions, you can get PHP to do that for you by setting the session lifetime to 0 and invoking a garbage collection pass. 

//You must end the current session before you can change the lifetime settings.
session_write_close();

//If you want to preserve your admin session, save a copy of $_SESSION
$sessionCache = $_SESSION;

//Make the lifetime 0 so every session is considered expired.
ini_set('session.gc_maxlifetime', 0);

//Re-start your admin session, GC requires an active session.
session_start();

//Restore the saved $_SESSION if desired.
$_SESSION = $sessionCache;

//Run GC to delete other sessions.
session_gc();

Edited by kicken

@kickenThank you much for your time. I appreciate it. I tried that one too and I got a huge list of errors. I would post them but I can see from the previous answer that even being told what is wrong, I can't seem to figure out where or what to fix, or really... how to fix it.
What is frustrating me the most is I can almost always see the codes and if I get help then it makes sense, then I learned from it, then I can build again from that. But this one... has me about ready to put my forehead in the monitor.

I really do appreciate everyones help though. I just hate that this time I can't make heads or tales of it all

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.