Best course on bootstrap to learn bootstrap for someone who requires more mentoring?

polaryeti

I'm struggling with frontend. Although my basics of html,css are clear, I'm having trouble in building websites and I'm just putting baby steps towards it(made my first simple html css site today). Thus a guidance from a mentor would be really helpful to me in learning. If I don't find any resources, my plan is to just google and read till I understand. 

I want to ask this question because I wasted lots of time in the past in bad resources. I bought "CSS Cookbook", turns out it was heavily outdated. I bought Jonas's CSS course in udemy, turns out it wasn't right fit for me because it was unnecessarily project heavy. But imo you make projects on your own rather than by watching and copying others make projects.

So, recommend me a course that teaches bootstrap basics and maybe guide me towards building a website using html,css and bootstrap. I'm asking this question so that I don't waste more time on bad resources.

Should I focus on bootstrap 5 courses or courses teaching any bootstrap are alright to learn basics?

The first question I would have for you, is do you have a solid "non-expert" understanding of html5 and css?  That is what I would highly recommend to get down 1st.  

This is a good free course to go through, that is all done interactively in the Scrimba environment:  https://scrimba.com/learn/introhtmlcss

It's taught by Kevin Powell who is one of the better known css teachers I know of, and has an extensive set of video tutorials on youtube.

Before you go further down any path, I would recommend you watch this video, which really helps you get an idea of what these different techs provide you from a design/UI standpoint:

If you watch enough of this you'll get to the point where he compares some options (vanilla css, vs tailwind vs Material UI (MUI) vs Bootstrap, and declares:  "Yeah Don't use Bootstrap.  It's 2022 and you know better!"

Nonetheless, this is a professional design guy who has worked for various well known companies and is very experienced, so I won't be an absolutist about this, but you should at least go into whatever phase of learning you  are entering knowing more about this.  I personally use Bootstrap every week for a client I work for, and I would certainly love to be able to move on from it now, but I'm stuck with a giant code base that is tightly integrated with it.   At least do your research.

Absolutely you should be using the latest version if you do use it.  I have found that it is actually pretty easy to use in most cases, however this guy has a complete course on it, and most of his videos are really good:  

One thing to keep in mind is that Bootstrap does have places where to really take advantage of some of the widgets, you also need to have a working understanding of javascript, in order to integrate it with what you are doing.  That is going to be true of many other css frameworks and approaches.

It also needs to be said, that whether or not you should be using Bootstrap is a significant question, as there are other css frameworks that have become extremely popular, most notably Tailwind CSS.   There are a number of other popular css frameworks, many of which are better suited to customizing the look and feel of things, or have a philosophy that is a bit more modern than what bootstrap has (given that Bootstrap is pretty old at this point, even though it has been updated).

Here's an intro to tailwind and a complete course by a guy who has a lot of courses on Udemy, and was actually paid to make a professional level course on Tailwind that is again free on youtube.  It is project based, but only one project in this case.

If you like Tailwind as an approach then you probably want to look at TailwindUI and/or DaisyUI which build upon Tailwind and are closer to what you would get with much of Bootstrap.

• Great Answer 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.