XAJAX Alternative?

dontknowphp

57 minutes ago, requinix said:

Context of what you're doing?

im developing an admin dashboard and some of the actions (button clicks, search, etc.) require that the page reloads so the new data from user input are submitted.

I was using xajax to handle such cases.

e.g user clicks button, with xajax i manipulate the DOM and show a loading animation, do some php execution, when done, remove the loading animation and show something else it may be a new form, success message, or anything

I think the "modern" things are more along the lines of React. I'm old-school myself, still using jQuery for literally DOM manipulation - not even using its AJAX features anymore because fetch() exists.

Something I had looked at a while ago was Backbone. Seemed like it was essentially the DOM updating stuff (like seen in React) coupled with some API conveniences.

I'll admit I personally am not a big fan of React - for whatever reason it doesn't sing to me. I have, however, found that Vue is not untenable from this crotchety old bastard's point of view insofaras a JavaScript framework is concerned if you're determined not to deal with vanilla JavaScript, fetch(), and writing the code yourself.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:58 PM, maxxd said:

I'll admit I personally am not a big fan of React - for whatever reason it doesn't sing to me. I have, however, found that Vue is not untenable from this crotchety old bastard's point of view insofaras a JavaScript framework is concerned if you're determined not to deal with vanilla JavaScript, fetch(), and writing the code yourself.

I had to maintain and enhance a React app a few years ago, and I also found it bothersome in many ways.  I'm sure having to get up to speed on someone else's convoluted code, while at the same time learning something that was in transition at the time, didn't help my level of enjoyment, but I left feeling like there had to be something better.  

I also have found Vue more to my liking.  I still have a ways to go to get to the point where I would reach for it as my first preference for UI, but I'm fairly confident that I'm not going back to React unless I have a significant incentive to do so.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.