Trying to find out what these examples (<FOOTER>) is called.

LeonLatex
Go to solution Solved by requinix,

I'm browsing different documentation for HTML5, and I'm going to familiarize myself with version 5 of HTML, and the version I was familiar with was HTML 4.01. It's not easy to catch everything when you have to constantly look up and down, back and forth to find answers, because there is a lot that is new for me. So, I'm asking here. These examples: <HEADER> <NAV> <MAIN> <FOOTER> . What are these called? Are they only called a TAG(s), or do they have a special/own name?

Edited by LeonLatex

• Solution

"Tag" is still fine. It's not like that term has died off or anything. And it applies to all... well, to all tags... not just certain ones. "META tag", "HTML tag", "NAV tag", whatever.
"Element" is the other one in common usage. Means the same thing. Probably a bit more proper.

Maybe the word you're looking for is "semantic"? Because the idea of those new tags/elements is that they have a semantic meaning: while DIV is just whatever, HEADER is specifically for "a header", and NAV is specifically for navigation, and such. Makes it easier for automated processes (like search engines) to analyze a page.

• Great Answer 1