simple fix with JUST ONE query??

infekt_x

This would be very ugly without subselects. Try the following in 4.1+:

SELECT ( SELECT team_name FROM tbl_teams WHERE uid = team_home ) AS homeTeam, ( SELECT team_name FROM tbl_teams WHERE uid = team_away ) AS awayTeam FROM tbl_games;

Feel free to add a CONCAT() to get the formatted output; personally, I'd do it in PHP.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, it's team_id -- I always use uid for my own table, sorry, force of habit. And you can implicitly refer to columns in the outer query without joining -- that's the beauty of it. To make it more clear, you can always alias the outer table:

SELECT ( SELECT team_name FROM tbl_teams WHERE team_id = g.team_home ) AS homeTeam, ( SELECT team_name FROM tbl_teams WHERE team_id = g.team_away ) AS awayTeam FROM tbl_games AS g;

Hope that helps.

that makes sooo much sense..

but I keep getting an error.

here is my sql:

$sql=mysql_query("SELECT (SELECT team_name FROM tbl_teams WHERE team_id='g.team_home') AS home_team, (SELECT team_name FROM tbl_teams WHERE team_id='g.team_away') AS away_team FROM tbl_photo_games AS g"); 

i have tried the above code without the single quotes around the team_id='g.team_home' as well.

and the error:

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

does it need to be handled differently as its in php?

First, is there an error produce by mysql_error()? The invalid resource suggests that the query isn't being executed properly. mysql_error() will tell you why -- try to figure it out, or post it here. LazyJones suggests the following:

$sql = "SELECT ....";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die ("ERROR: ".mysql_error()." with query: $sql");

Hope that helps.

Here is the error:

ERROR: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'SELECT team_name FROM tbl_teams WHERE team_id=g.team_home with query:

the query isn't showing up cause $sql is empty.

[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span]

t1.team_name, t2.team_name

FROM tbl_games AS g

INNER JOIN tbl_teams AS t1

ON t1.team_id = g.team_home

INNER JOIN tbl_teams AS t2

ON t2.team_id = g.team_away

[!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.