Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DanielStead

Can anyone tell me why this query is not working?

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]$sql_1 = "INSERT INTO SourceDocument (MapRef,Township,Parish,Dimensions,DateOfMap,Surveyor)

VALUES('$_SESSION['MapRef']','$_SESSION['Township']','$_SESSION['Parish']'

,'$_SESSION['SizeCM']','$_POST['DateofMap']','$_POST['Surveyor']')";

sorry its probably something really easy but this query works fine

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

$sql_1 = "INSERT INTO SourceDocument (MapRef,Township,Parish,Dimensions,DateOfMap,Surveyor)";

so there seems to be something worng with my quieries but i cant spot it.

Sure.. I think you have quoting issues for your column values; the second query just uses the default column values, so there's no problem.

'$_SESSION['MapRef']'

That's hard to parse -- where does the field value start & end? I see 4 single quotes -- and MySQL doesn't like them very much anyway. I would have broken out each hash key to keep from having to escape your quotes, which just looks horrible:

'".$_SESSION['MapRef']."'

Hope that helps.

[!--quoteo(post=336976:date=Jan 16 2006, 12:09 PM:name=fenway)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fenway @ Jan 16 2006, 12:09 PM) 336976[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Sure.. I think you have quoting issues for your column values; the second query just uses the default column values, so there's no problem.

'".$_SESSION['MapRef']."'

Hope that helps.

the quoting issues is definitely the problem, and there are several ways to fix it... just choose whichever is easiest for you to view:

// this way
VALUES('{$_SESSION['MapRef']}','{$_SESSION['Township']}','{$_SESSION['Parish']}'
,'{$_SESSION['SizeCM']}','{$_POST['DateofMap']}','{$_POST['Surveyor']}')";

// or this way
VALUES('$_SESSION[MapRef]','$_SESSION[Township]','$_SESSION[Parish]'
,'$_SESSION[SizeCM]','$_POST[DateofMap]','$_POST[Surveyor]')";

// or the way mentioned above

Just don't use the bareword hash keys (shudder) -- go with the explicit quoting, or the curlies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.