My Company Site

AXiSS

http://fabrydesign.com

It is basicly my freelance web design company, but I use "we" because I have a group of tech-savvie friends who also work with me, but not as part of my company. So it is truly only me doing the work, but I do have a team (kind of).

I like the design. However I was a little disappointed when looking at the source. So much HTML for such a small design. Also avoid styling your web pages using HTML, use CSS for that - after all that's what CSS is for. Get rid of the javascript too for the menu. Can be done with CSS. Also drop the tables your site can easily be done with just CSS and Div's.

Another thing is you are using a non-standard font - Haettenschweiler

Never use non-standard fonts. As you cannot guarantee that everyone will have that font.

You are not use any CSS what so ever! You are using HTML (attributes) to style your pages.

The best place to learn CSS navigation is going to [url=http://css.maxdesign.com.au/]css.maxdesign.com.au[/url] - I'd recommend you to go through [url=http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listutorial/horizontal_introduction.htm]this tutorial[/url] as that is the style of menu you have. When you've done that tutorial you should be able to adapt the CSS to your menu.

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=120266.msg493187#msg493187 date=1167410125]
You are not use any CSS what so ever! You are using HTML (attributes) to style your pages.
[/quote]

Darn I'm not using any CSS. I wonder how that happened... guess I better go fix that.

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=120266.msg493243#msg493243 date=1167415662]
From looks of things you are using FrontPage. Code everything by hand do not let FP code anything/everything for you otherwise you are looking for trouble.
[/quote]

You guessed it. I've figured out at this point Frontpage is pretty screwed up when it comes to coding, so I'm thinking about getting Dreamweaver instead. Does that same rule apply then?

[quote author=wildteen88 link=topic=120266.msg493281#msg493281 date=1167419978]
You can use any editor. Just don't allow it to code stuff for you.
[/quote]

:-\ Then I might as well use Notepad.

It is just that I dont really know how to do an complicated formatting in HTML. I know HTML basics, but I have never scratch-coded a table or layout...

First, let me say that this posting is not meant to discourage you. Hopefully, it will energize you and excite you about what is out there that you have not seen yet.

Secondly, let me give you some advice from my standpoint. I teach high school web design. I am very familiar with XHTML, CSS, DOM, and enough PHP / MySQL to create a database driven site with a user interface for updating / deleting / etc.

In order to do freelance design and experience success, you should at least be familiar with as much as I am (which I DO NOT consider to be very much - freelancing has been tough for me because so many people want really, really advanced stuff and, as I am just starting out, I have to created EVERYTHING from scratch). As I have begun to seek out clients, I have been shocked at how fast the design world is evolving and what the average skill level is.

Again, this in no way is meant to discourage you. I truly believe the web has a long way to go and we all want to be along for the ride. That being said, learning to do web development takes a lot of hard work and long hours reading, learning, frustration, and jubilation.

Go out and get some books. Set aside time to READ them and OUTLINE the important info as you go. Let me recommend the following:

Get an XHTML book. . .I don't have a good one to recommend
SAMS - Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours (this will get you started and teach you the basics)
CSS Mastery - Advanced Web Standards Solutions (this will really teach you CSS)
DOM Scripting - Web Design with JavcaScript and the DSocument Object Model (will teach you how to apply JavaScript to your docment)

Also, one of the most frustrating parts of web design today is designing for multiple browsers. Internet Explorer 6 is different than Internet Explorer 7 is different that Firefox is different than etc. You should be sure to test your pages on multiple browsers. This is commonly referred to as a 'hack'. You will see that in those books.

Finally, there are a lot of good sites out there for quick info and tutorials. I recommend:

www.tizag.com
www.w3schools.com
www.echoecho.com

Best of luck to you.

RyanOD

Well I know HTML, I read up on XHTML earlier today, I know CSS, but dont know DOM or Javascript.

I dont expect to be hired by any major product line or anything, that isn't my goal, and basicly my freelance work is for people who want basic websites and dont take the time to make one themselves.

I do not expect my freelance work to take me anywhere either. I'm only 13, so I just do it on the side to get some money. It isn't the most important thing in the world for me right now to have the knowledge of a Computer Engineering graduate or something.

Ahhhhh, you are only 13?? Well, in that case, you're doing fine. You have a lot of time to learn more (or move to something else). Best of luck. Actually, if you are into this stuff, consider moving into development for mobile devices. Not many people there yet. Tons of $$$ to be made.

RyanOD

[quote author=ryan.od link=topic=120266.msg493584#msg493584 date=1167461777]
Ahhhhh, you are only 13?? Well, in that case, you're doing fine. You have a lot of time to learn more (or move to something else). Best of luck. Actually, if you are into this stuff, consider moving into development for mobile devices. Not many people there yet. Tons of $$$ to be made.

RyanOD
[/quote]

What kind of development for mobile devices?

What kind of development? That is hard to say. However, think about it. . .we always have our cellphones with us, they are almost always on, eventually, they will be able to stream at the same rate of laptops, etc.

Currently in the US, the mobile platform (cellphones mostly) is a completely screwed up situation. There is not a single platform for development. Some phones support Flash Lite, some support Java, some support BREW, etc. Actually, most advanced cellphone app development is happening in Asia. In the US, the cellphone providers are busy fighting for market share rather than working to settle on a single uniform way to code apps. That is business.

Consider Flash Lite. You can get more info at Yahoo! groups. . .

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/FlashLite/

RyanOD

Oh, Flash Lite. Maybe I could try and come up with some Flash Apps for mobile devices... you just gave me a great idea! If I can get my PHP coding to work correctly and launch my "spider-free" search engine, I could develop some mobile apps to further the brand...... but I feel like the only one here who can't get the most basic php coding to work  :(

Hey, don't get down on yourself about getting up to speed on PHP / MySQL. It took me FOREVER to figure out how to configure my site correctly and get my code to work. However, once I got it, it was as if someone had turned on a light. All of a sudden, all of the mistakes I had been making vanished and I was on my way.

I started, quit, and restarted at least 5 times before I figured out what the heck I was doing wrong. It was really, really frustrating - but well worth it!

I found this to be helpful. . .

http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/

Also, PHP Freaks is fabulous for posting questions and getting good answers fast.

RyanOD

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.