Find all instances of a field

zebe

Hi,

I am creating a database system where I have a field that is called semester. The values will be similiar to Fall-05, Spring-06 etc. There will be multiple instances throughout all the student entries in the system. What I want to do is query the database to find all the different semesters that exist in the database, but I just need one of each, so I can run another query using these values to show semester totals. Is there a specific MySQL query that can do this operation?

Thanks for your help!

[!--quoteo(post=338040:date=Jan 19 2006, 07:00 PM:name=zebe)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(zebe @ Jan 19 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]338040[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hi,

I am creating a database system where I have a field that is called semester. The values will be similiar to Fall-05, Spring-06 etc. There will be multiple instances throughout all the student entries in the system. What I want to do is query the database to find all the different semesters that exist in the database, but I just need one of each, so I can run another query using these values to show semester totals. Is there a specific MySQL query that can do this operation?

Thanks for your help!
[/quote]
Try
[code]
SELECT DISTINCT semester FROM mytable;
[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.