Windows Server Permissions...

ShibSta

I have a Dedicated Windows server and everytime I try to install a new script I have to go in and manually edit the permissions of files and folders to make the script work.
I keep reading things saying that with Windows you dont have to "CHMOD" (or set file permissions...).
Am i doing something wrong? How can I setup the server so that I do not have to do this manually, I am hosting a few friends aswell on the server and it's getting complicated because all I ever hear is can you make this and that writable....

Thanks

Technicaly, you can't CHMOD on a Windows box as it is a Unix command. I have done some projects before where my clients have had Windows boxes and every time I needed write access to a file/folder I have had to call the server admin and get them to change the permissions... Speak to your admin.

Or, you can do what I did, which is NOT the right way to do it, but, Hey, I like to live dangerously.

I set the user accound for IIS to Administrator...

It's a bad idea, but I can do whatever I want LOL

[!--quoteo(post=343076:date=Feb 6 2006, 08:49 AM:name=SemiApocalyptic)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SemiApocalyptic @ Feb 6 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]343076[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Technicaly, you can't CHMOD on a Windows box as it is a Unix command. I have done some projects before where my clients have had Windows boxes and every time I needed write access to a file/folder I have had to call the server admin and get them to change the permissions... Speak to your admin.
[/quote]

Blah! What was I thinking CHMOD on a Unix? LOL! Want my honest opinion? Get rid of windows and grab you a nice linux distro. For webhosting and such I would go with CentOS...if your new there are a few new ones out there such as Debian and Ubuntu...If your really good at linux go Gentoo...CentOS is what I perfer for web servers, however.

In order for your scripts to run from a web page you have to give the IUSR_xxxxx user (where xxxx is the machine name) full control of one under, permission to the wwwroot folder. Also when you add or change the permissions on the folder click the advanced button then click the "Replace permission entries on all child objects..." then click apply. This will set all permissions on lower files and folders the same as that one. Now when you copy or move a file to that directory the permission should be all set.

Also you should give at least read/execute permission to your php folder to the same user. This will make sure your web pages can access extensions in the php folder and temp folders there as well

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.