webcontinuum.com

ContinuumXLS

I have been 'designing' websites for about 4 years now, but I have never really forced myself to really learn how to do anything well untill now.

[a href=\"http://webcontinuum.com\" target=\"_blank\"]Webcontinuum[/a]

The site isn't even close to finished yet, but the main layout is pretty close to how I want it.

(and yes, I know it's simple, but I like that style)

What do you guys think?

[!--quoteo(post=342093:date=Feb 2 2006, 06:14 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Feb 2 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]342093[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
simple is an understatement. It's just a bunch of text. I also absolutely no idea what this site is about. There really isn't much of anything going on.
[/quote]

i'd have to agree with jcombs on this one. it's far too plain, and i end up searching for ages to suss out which of the text is links and which is 'content'. i must say though, that whilst i like simple sites, i don't think you need to be this simple - you could do alot more without it being complex at all. i think it'd be better to take a closer look once there's more content on there, so at least then we'll get a clue of what it's all about and what you're trying to achieve.

cheers
Mark

Thanks for the feed back, and also for being brutally honest.

I know it leaves much to be desired, and I intend on adding a lot to it when I get some time. It probably wasn't too wise of me to post a link until I was 100% finished, but I wanted some comments/advice. I'll spruce it up a bit over the next few days, and I will definitely rethink the way the content is displayed. I'll post a link back when I feel that it is ready for viewing.

[!--quoteo(post=342093:date=Feb 2 2006, 01:14 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Feb 2 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]342093[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
simple is an understatement. It's just a bunch of text. I also absolutely no idea what this site is about. There really isn't much of anything going on.
[/quote]
i disagree. design is not all about flash and pizazz. simplicity is design and i think he has done a great job using it. look at the varying font sizes and colors and then the rollover colors. i think this is good work.

i agree with all previous posts to some extent. but i do agree... simple is better. less is best.

don't stray from the reason in which got you here. sure, there is need for great graphical design, this, and that... but just try to remember what got you here and why you are doing it. i agree mostly with the last post... Great design is more simplicity than glorified graphics. but, unreal graphics are a plus if done right, and with the right knowledge.

what is your motivation for this site anyway? if your site's main purpose is to draw and keep average "joes"... than make it very evident of your sites purpose.

if you want to have a more geeky crowd frequent your site, make it interesting and hard to figure out. as a geek myself, i quite enjoy sites that keep me thinking.

*edit:
i didn't analyze your site very much until after my post. disregard most peoples thoughts and comments, it looks like you have a much better grasp on the basic concepts of good design. keep it up.

[!--quoteo(post=342277:date=Feb 2 2006, 11:03 PM:name=emehrkay)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(emehrkay @ Feb 2 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]342277[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i disagree. design is not all about flash and pizazz. simplicity is design and i think he has done a great job using it. look at the varying font sizes and colors and then the rollover colors. i think this is good work.
[/quote]

I guess I could just post a microsoft word document and that would make a geat site then... Afterall, Microsoft does a great job of formatting my text. I didn't recall mentioning flash and pizazz, but you are right, various font sizes and text colors certainly doesn't acheive it...

[!--quoteo(post=342362:date=Feb 3 2006, 07:16 AM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Feb 3 2006, 07:16 AM) [snapback]342362[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I guess I could just post a microsoft word document and that would make a geat site then... Afterall, Microsoft does a great job of formatting my text. I didn't recall mentioning flash and pizazz, but you are right, various font sizes and text colors certainly doesn't acheive it...
[/quote]
i suggest that you take another look at that site. i've seen your work and its great! but if you can not look at this site and see why it is good, than i really cant explain it to you

[!--quoteo(post=343081:date=Feb 6 2006, 08:04 AM:name=emehrkay)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(emehrkay @ Feb 6 2006, 08:04 AM) [snapback]343081[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i suggest that you take another look at that site. i've seen your work and its great! but if you can not look at this site and see why it is good, than i really cant explain it to you
[/quote]

Thanks!

[!--quoteo(post=343081:date=Feb 6 2006, 09:04 AM:name=emehrkay)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(emehrkay @ Feb 6 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]343081[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]

I've taken another look, and still fail to see why it is good.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.