mobblog

moberemk

I had a little spare time so I decided to make a blog. Still working on why. Here's the link:
[a href=\"http://mobblog.byethost2.com/\" target=\"_blank\"]http://mobblog.byethost2.com/[/a]
Just something I felt like doing. No idea why. None of the links work yet, so I'll have to work on that. Aside from that, any comments? And yes, I know that it doesn't validate. Personally, I blame the fact that my blog posts don't have valid XHTML 1.1 in them-whoops. Thankfully, this is just a stopgap measure until the real site is complete. Not sure when that happens...

[!--quoteo(post=343297:date=Feb 6 2006, 11:37 PM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Feb 6 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]343297[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I had a little spare time so I decided to make a blog. Still working on why. Here's the link:
[a href=\"http://mobblog.byethost2.com/\" target=\"_blank\"]http://mobblog.byethost2.com/[/a]
Just something I felt like doing. No idea why. None of the links work yet, so I'll have to work on that. Aside from that, any comments? And yes, I know that it doesn't validate. Personally, I blame the fact that my blog posts don't have valid XHTML 1.1 in them-whoops. Thankfully, this is just a stopgap measure until the real site is complete. Not sure when that happens...
[/quote]

it needs alot of work in terms of the general style.
1, the light blue on white background makes it very difficult to read comfortably
2, the images are too big (filesize) for what they are, so it takes too much time to load a relatively sparse page.
3, on some of the other sections, there are FAR too many google ads. i can appreciate the odds of someone clicking them greatly increases by having so many, but google ads in my opinion nearly always ruin a sites design.
4, you have enough space in your left column surely that you could keep the menu expanded, rather than having it as a rollover popup. having 2 or 3 lines for a navigation menu, and then filling up the rest of the column with ads, just seems a little off-balance to me.

The ads aren't really my choice here. It's have ads or no hosting. As for expanding the menu, you're right-I probably should. That was really more of an experiment in CSS rollovers that I never got around to getting rid of. Now, the light blue against the white, that doesn't really occur anywhere outside of the quotes-I probably should fix that. But for the borders too? And as for image filesize, I'll try optimizing them some more.
Just something to keep in mind: This is only step 1 of a much larger project.

[!--quoteo(post=343556:date=Feb 7 2006, 09:16 PM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Feb 7 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]343556[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The ads aren't really my choice here. It's have ads or no hosting. As for expanding the menu, you're right-I probably should. That was really more of an experiment in CSS rollovers that I never got around to getting rid of. Now, the light blue against the white, that doesn't really occur anywhere outside of the quotes-I probably should fix that. But for the borders too? And as for image filesize, I'll try optimizing them some more.
Just something to keep in mind: This is only step 1 of a much larger project.
[/quote]

fair comments.

- the ads will depend on how far you wanna take the project. if you want it as a 'proper', professional looking site, then i'd prob look at either a new host that don't require adverts (ok,so you have to pay, but depends how you see your site - as a mess-around, or as a proper site).
- the blue - you're right, it only appears in the quotes. maybe you could use an off white/light grey background, but still keep black text ?
- when i can't be arsed to sort images, i just use the GD library to do my dirty work for me. you just need a script that uses imagecreatefromjpeg, etc, etc, which will automatically thumbnail some of your bigger images and shrink it to a reasonable size. again, it'll still take time, but it's quicker to let your server/hosts server shrink an image than let your browser load it.

Well, at the moment, this is the "mess-around" stage of the site. Once it's done, I'll see what I can do about paying. Unfortunately though, I still need to get some money for that. That's why I need the adverts-without them, I basically don't have the ability to put it up. Also, none of these images are resized-they're just badly compressed.

[!--quoteo(post=343653:date=Feb 8 2006, 01:06 AM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Feb 8 2006, 01:06 AM) [snapback]343653[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well, at the moment, this is the "mess-around" stage of the site. Once it's done, I'll see what I can do about paying. Unfortunately though, I still need to get some money for that. That's why I need the adverts-without them, I basically don't have the ability to put it up. Also, none of these images are resized-they're just badly compressed.
[/quote]

fair enough.
most of mine are badly compressed. pop together a little script anyway, and regardless of compression, it'll whip them into shape and size (filesize as well as dimensions). i hate pissing around with pictures before i upload them, so i let my scripts do it for me. i got a couple of little scripts i use myself if you want them.

Nah. I think that I'll stick with what I know-editing in Photoshop. Thanks for the offer though.
So, aside from the light blue text, and the google ads, does it look good? Oh, and I fixed the rollover menu like you suggested. You're right-it does look a lot better now. Once the menu expands a little though, I probably will make it a rollover again.

[!--quoteo(post=343666:date=Feb 8 2006, 02:12 AM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Feb 8 2006, 02:12 AM) [snapback]343666[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Nah. I think that I'll stick with what I know-editing in Photoshop. Thanks for the offer though.
So, aside from the light blue text, and the google ads, does it look good? Oh, and I fixed the rollover menu like you suggested. You're right-it does look a lot better now. Once the menu expands a little though, I probably will make it a rollover again.
[/quote]

I think it it's ok. i can almost see the sun through the storm but there are appearance issues that need to be addressed.

we definitely aint brothers lol as i think you prefer the larger fonts and brighter setting whereas i prefer smaller fonts and darker settings, you use the ads loads and i hate them, etc, etc.
It IS the sort of thing that as long as there's a 'theme' I'd probably stick around and read, but I think you're just missing a few CSS tweaks (mostly use of colours) that could turn it into a nice output. Look at the dark blue colour on this forum page at the top (where it says moblog) - i thing that's more the sort of shade you need as opposed to really harsh light blue. and as i said before, i think you'd be better using a darker background for the quotes instead of the light blue text altogether.
yes the nav is better opened like that. it's ok to have it spring out of nowhere when you click on something to make it do it, but as a rollover i think it falls flat. so yes, the way you got it now is better.

anyhows. i think as a blog, the hard works already been done. now it just needs some polishing in terms of how it looks.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Mark

[!--quoteo(post=343726:date=Feb 8 2006, 03:55 AM:name=redbullmarky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(redbullmarky @ Feb 8 2006, 03:55 AM) [snapback]343726[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
we definitely aint brothers lol
[/quote]
Ironic, given that my first name is also Mark.
So, as for that link to a forum, you seem to have forgotten to post it.

[!--quoteo(post=343763:date=Feb 8 2006, 12:12 PM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Feb 8 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]343763[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
So, as for that link to a forum, you seem to have forgotten to post it.
[/quote]

sorry, my bad. i meant the actual PHPfreaks forums. look at the heading at the top of this particular page, the one that says 'moblog' on it.

[!--quoteo(post=343799:date=Feb 8 2006, 09:21 AM:name=redbullmarky)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(redbullmarky @ Feb 8 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]343799[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
sorry, my bad. i meant the actual PHPfreaks forums. look at the heading at the top of this particular page, the one that says 'moblog' on it.
[/quote]
You mean that says 'PHPFreaks' on it, right? ;)
I'll take that under advisement. Thanks for the help!

[!--quoteo(post=343919:date=Feb 8 2006, 10:07 PM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Feb 8 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]343919[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You mean that says 'PHPFreaks' on it, right? ;)
I'll take that under advisement. Thanks for the help!
[/quote]

no, the one just below where it says: PHP Help Forums > General Discussion > Website Critique.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.