Board Games, anyone?

obsidian

well, i think that programmers and computer people in general are pigeonholed to be video gamers... and in most cases, i think this is accurate, but many of us enjoy a good ol' board game every once in a while. i've recently picked up [a href=\"http://www.heroscape.com\" target=\"_blank\"]HeroScape[/a] and started playing with my wife, and once you get over the learning curve, it's an incredible play!

i was wondering if anyone else on here has played (or currently plays) heroscape or any other good strategy board games?

[!--quoteo(post=343515:date=Feb 7 2006, 02:50 PM:name=neylitalo)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(neylitalo @ Feb 7 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]343515[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Risk. An excellent game - but you may want to save it for a really crappy day. A game can take hours.
[/quote]

i like risk alright, but it can get very tedious because there's so little to it besides the roll of the dice... well, that's how it was in the original, at least. the newer versions add a TON more stuff to do to make it more interesting, but all in all, a great game.

[!--quoteo(post=344067:date=Feb 9 2006, 07:00 AM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Feb 9 2006, 07:00 AM) [snapback]344067[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Personally, I'm a fan of Monopoly. I love the whole "Bankrupt my opponent" objective, and the capitalist ideas within it.
[/quote]

lol... ok, that's how my wife plays! she loves monopoly, and i don't think i've ever been able to beat her at it... pretty sorry, huh?

well, as SA mentioned, i'm primarily a video game person, and i hadn't played any board games in a while, either, but when i found heroscape, it's really changed my focus (at least for a little while)

We threw out the Monopoly game because it turned into a full contact sport here with the wife and 4 teenagers...

[!--quoteo(post=344168:date=Feb 9 2006, 02:11 PM:name=obsidian)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(obsidian @ Feb 9 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]344168[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
lol... ok, that's how my wife plays! she loves monopoly, and i don't think i've ever been able to beat her at it... pretty sorry, huh?

well, as SA mentioned, i'm primarily a video game person, and i hadn't played any board games in a while, either, but when i found heroscape, it's really changed my focus (at least for a little while)
[/quote]

• 1 month later...
I'm definately more into video games, but my wife and I play bored (haha) games from time to time. We're not so much into the heavy strategy games, but we play Scrabble, Chess, and Cranium. We also got into a DVD movie game for a while.

I personally like Chess, but she's not a huge fan.

The ironic thing about Monopoly is that it was created to illustrate the rapaciousness and evils of capitalism in
a format that the masses would understand. Think about how much money it has earned for the
various corporations that have owned rights to it...

• 2 weeks later...
Personally I'm a really big fan of chess, battleship (yes... its more of a luck game, but you still get to blow something up), and Mindtrap (the over contemplated game).

If i had to include a video game I would have to recommend World of Warcraft just for the simple fact that you can get friends together in the comfort of your own home and not have to worry about them making a mess.... lol

You guys should check out the game 'Apples to Apples'. Mind you; you need at least 4 people to play. but it can get really entertaining! That and pictionary is pretty fun... but again, i'm probably off topic because you guys are quoting games you can play with 2 people.

[!--quoteo(post=363777:date=Apr 11 2006, 03:10 PM:name=lead2gold)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(lead2gold @ Apr 11 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]363777[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--] You guys should check out the game 'Apples to Apples'. Mind you; you need at least 4 people to play. but it can get really entertaining! That and pictionary is pretty fun... but again, i'm probably off topic because you guys are quoting games you can play with 2 people. ;)

[/quote]

That we've mentioned games you can play with two people doesn't matter - we're sharing our favorite board games, and they just so happened to be games you can play with 2.

And Pictionary is one of my personal favorites; I like games where you guess stuff like that. Charades, Guesstures (sp?), etc. - I love it.

• 8 months later...
[quote author=lead2gold link=topic=85247.msg363777#msg363777 date=1144786217]
You guys should check out the game 'Apples to Apples'.  Mind you; you need at least 4 people to play.  but it can get really entertaining!  That and pictionary is pretty fun... but again, i'm probably off topic because you guys are quoting games you can play with 2 people.

[/quote]

Apples to apples is a hoot but only if you play with a group with a sense of humor, otherwise it is as drone as the players imagination is...

Wow..other than the fact that you decided to rez an old topic..

Heroscape! Man, my brother and I have spent about $400 on heroscape stuff. We follow the general rules of the game, but we have tossed out so many of its rules and made so many of our own rules that, other than the game pieces, it's not really the same game.

We have actually been thinking about sending our rules revision to them.  We feel it was poorly written and does not take many things into consideration.  Other than that, it's great!

Setting up the board and choosing our armies in and of itself takes us about 2 hours.  No seriously, I wasn't kidding about the $400.  We bought like 4 of the big starter packs and also have the various board pieces that come with the various units.  And we have minimal 2 copies of each unit pack.  My dining room table is around 4 foot by 6 foot, and the board easily covers it.

We have devised a process of picking units that involves dice rolling and other stuff, but overall it ends with each of us having 10 units and 5 heroes.

Longest game so far: 13h42m

It was long and grueling and I lost :( but it really came down to the wire. It literally came down last man standing.

I feel for you. I've spend probably around $250 so far on Heroscape stuff, and when we play, the games last at least 2-3 hours minimum. We haven't had one go over 5 yet, but only because we called a draw when one of our friends had to leave early. I have a ton of the expansions, and I have a couple different terrain packs. I can't wait to get a couple of the new castle sets that just came out in '06, though!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.