iPhone - very sexy

emehrkay

It does look like it has practical applications, as well as the cool factor. It's a smartphone, so it's probably got a contact manager, email, calendars, and any number of other features useful in the business world. And you might be thinking "But what makes this one different?". Apple has a way of making their products very easy to use. I would say that's their main goal - to be user-friendly. If you've used any smartphones, especially any running a variant of Windows, you know that they are a pain to get around. I suspect that Apple's iPhone has none of those problems. And it looks good, too! It would be "cool" for anybody to use. If you're a banker, it's black, dignified, and certainly oozes "status symbol". If you're the socialite type, it's pretty, it has a certain flair to it, and (most importantly) it's a status symbol.

I can honestly say that I would love to have one, if not for the cool factor, then for the functionality. No mp3 player has come close to the iPod in the interface-and-functionality arena, and I suspect they've broken the mold with this little beauty as well.

As for the cost: It all depends on your service provider, and the service plan you're on. They're only selling it to Cingular customers as of right now, but I'm sure it'll make its appearance on eBay rather quickly, at which point, you'll probably be able to buy it and use it with any GSM service provider simply by inserting your SIM card. GSM providers in the US include Cingular, T-Mobile, Cellular One, and DO NOT include Alltel, Verizon, and Sprint Nextel. (Of course, that isn't a comprehensive list.)

And I see that while I was typing, you decided to re-post your question... please don't do that. If you have amendments, just reply with them. There is no need to re-post the entirety of your post with the added two lines.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=121725.msg505839#msg505839 date=1168924909]
And I see that while I was typing, you decided to re-post your question... please don't do that. If you have amendments, just reply with them. There is no need to re-post the entirety of your post with the added two lines.
[/quote]
man, u think i dont know? i have been on this site for 4 years now, the modify feature isnt working for some reason. thats why i did it. geez.

[quote author=HoTDaWg link=topic=121725.msg506807#msg506807 date=1169038339]
man, u think i dont know? i have been on this site for 4 years now, the modify feature isnt working for some reason. thats why i did it. geez.
[/quote]It is working, but you're only allowed to edit your post within a two minute time frame after posting.
[quote]... if there is a charge for all ur phone calls i just dont see the purpose of the iPhone ...[/quote]It's a phone. You've always had to pay for conventional phone calls. Although, it has Wi-Fi built in, I guess they could come out with some VOIP software for it at some point.
[quote]The ipod in my perspective was a break through it changed the way mp3 players worked[/quote]I don't think that's why it was a breakthrough product, it didn't [i]really[/i] change the way MP3 players worked - Apple just made them easier to use and cooler to own, it was a bit of a geek product before that.
[quote]another reason i might be biased to it is i am a student, why would i need a cell phone?[/quote]How many other students do you know that [i]don't[/i] own a mobile phone?!
[quote]i dont want to waste my money on phone calls im never gonna get[/quote]You pay for calls you make, not receive. Well, that's how it is over here in the UK.
[quote]would u consider the iphone something the business world needs or something targeted for youth culture?[/quote]I'd say more towards business than youth culture, mainly because of the price. The feature-set is more targeted towards business too in my opinion.
[quote]In your opinion, does teen culture promote materialism? Is society more concerned about getting this phone than about the billions of people who go to the sleep hungry? And is materialism that good or bad.[/quote]Stuff like that doesn't concern me.

Sorry to be pulling your reply apart like that, but I got the impression you were going against the grain, for the sake of going against the grain :P

[quote author=SemiApocalyptic link=topic=121725.msg506814#msg506814 date=1169040654]
[quote]i dont want to waste my money on phone calls im never gonna get[/quote]You pay for calls you make, not receive. Well, that's how it is over here in the UK.
[/quote]

Not so here in the US. You pay for any minutes you use, whether they're incoming or outgoing calls. Grant it, you pay for a plan, and all the minutes come out of that bank of time, but it still counts against you any time you are connected on a call (unless of course, you're on [i]nights and weekends[/i] or other exception)... man, cell phones are a pain to keep up with, but I don't know if I could live without mine any more.

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=121725.msg506832#msg506832 date=1169042785]
wow. "Roaming" costs for calls within the same country - and I thought WE were the ones getting ripped off  :o
[/quote]

Yea, but most good providers nix the "roaming" unless you get to somewhere that your service is being "borrowed" from another provider. For instance, I'm on Verizon, but when I visit my brother up in Jersey, there's one area along the way that only has Cingular, so if I get a call while on a Cingular tower, I get hit with roaming. Otherwise, I can be anywhere in the country on a Verizon tower, and pay no roaming.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=121725.msg506823#msg506823 date=1169041993]
[quote author=SemiApocalyptic link=topic=121725.msg506814#msg506814 date=1169040654]
[/quote]

Not so here in the US. You pay for any minutes you use, whether they're incoming or outgoing calls. Grant it, you pay for a plan, and all the minutes come out of that bank of time, but it still counts against you any time you are connected on a call (unless of course, you're on [i]nights and weekends[/i] or other exception)... man, cell phones are a pain to keep up with, but I don't know if I could live without mine any more.
[/quote]
dont, total waste of money. unless ur like a business owner (for ex.) or a parent.

[quote author=HoTDaWg link=topic=121725.msg507381#msg507381 date=1169076175]
dont, total waste of money. unless ur like a business owner (for ex.) or a parent.
[/quote]
Actually, I don't even have a ground line anymore. Because so much of my calling is to clients who are out of state, my ground line with all the service fees and long distance they tack on every month ended up being more expensive than a decent cell phone plan. My wife and I share a bank of minutes on our plan, and we're better off financially for it than we were trying to pay for a land line since long distance is free over the cell.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.