What framework do you use

Ninjakreborn

I have been asking a lot of questions around here about frameworks.
I want to ask one more, which framework do you use.
I have been fighting with this debate for a long time, custom framework (building my own (personal programmer for example),) to carry around my own functions, classes, and ajax/javascript libraries that might  take me years to build, but would make me better in the end or use something that is already created (code ignitor, cake php).
I just want to ask what other people use, what do you honestly use from project to project, if you even use a framework at all.
That will help me decide heavily what I want to do from here.

I don't really want to know what framework is what, what is good, which one's you have tried.  Which one are you actually using now, and intend to use in the future as well, the one you pretty much stick with permanently.

I am building my own just because of the educational reasons. But also because I don't want to be dependent on a 3rd party. If you learn how to do stuff your self you can implement what you learn in other languages but if you stick with just Code Igniter and CakePHP what happens when you decided to start writing cgi scripts or python?? To some degree it will be easier to learn their equivalent because of your experience with the php framework but it would be even easier if you understood each aspect.

Cookies and Sessions are a great example so many people pretend to know what they are and how to use them but what happens when you say something like if i deleted $_GET and $_POST and $_SESSION what would you need to do to access the data. Most people dont know how to access the raw data and the ones that do  are more experienced and usually have experience with cgi programming. The point here is most phpers dont have experience with cgi programmer and I recommend everyone give it a try just so you learn how things work.

The point I am driving across is learning how things work has its advantages and it is by making things work that you learn how they work. I think people that use the smarty templating engine lack the knowledge and logic to create a templating engine. It is so easy to create a templating engine that I have to assume the people using prepackaged ones dont know how to make their own.

If people made their own they would be able to keep it in a library of code or make it part of their personal incomplete library. The point I am trying to get at in a slow sort of way is that most, not all, but most people using frameworks out there lack the knowledge to create their own and people that dont know how to create their own should not be using other peoples code to get the same result because as soon as they shift platform or get asked to make something custom they will not have the experience they would of gained if coding it them self.

If you use a framework for clients is a choice you can make on your own and is sort of separate but regardless of what you do for clients you should always be creating libraries and frameworks if people dont do this I just have to assume they don't because they don't do anything other than spaghetti code.

Sorry if this rant is a little long winded

No it wasn't a rant, it heavily reinforced my decision.  Made me think.  I am installing codeignitor, and cake php as I was suggested, and using them for about 1 week a piece, (UNtil I fully learn OOp and MVC).,
Then you are right, I am going to start building my own, (AFTER)< I learn those 2 as other people suggested, thanks for the confidence builder.

• 4 weeks later...
Well,
I also had same amount of confusion Joel had, and posted her too redbullmarky explained the pros and cons of them two really well.
I started with CI initially thinking it is better. But when i just read Cakephp manual and started coding, i just can't see anything near it. So easy and cool. It does tendersome things for u. All u just do is think and code less.
I have tried to know about RoR and it seems cakephp is the most similar to RoR.
Zend is inefficient. u simply cant inigrate a 5mb framework with a 500 kb project.

one amaizing thing both cakephp and CI code has the exact same file size.
1.4mb something. i woder if they are having competition to keep file size minimal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.