I wish to learn how to becoem a Core Hacker

BMRowe

[!--quoteo(post=345117:date=Feb 12 2006, 09:27 AM:name=thorpe)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(thorpe @ Feb 12 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]345117[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Do you know C? Download the php source, find an area your interested in and start hacking. Maybe you want to write an extension?
[/quote]

No, I don't know C or C++ yet. I know a little bit of Visual Basic and I know the assembly language (I know its not used much anymore) and yes I wish to write an extension as well.

• 4 months later...
yer, its best to learn C as your first language before you start any other programming languages. Especialy PHP. Most modern computing languages are based on C anyway. you could probaly learn it within 21 days with a good book or tutorial.

[!--quoteo(post=389327:date=Jun 29 2006, 12:28 PM:name=Squirrlman)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Squirrlman @ Jun 29 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]389327[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
yer, its best to learn C as your first language before you start any other programming languages.
[/quote]

although everything else stated is correct, i don't know if i'd agree with this statement. from my personal experience, PHP is [b]much[/b] easier to pick up than just about any other language, and if someone can pick it up, it's easier to port the knowledge over to other languages (in principle) as well. from a personal experience, PHP was my first coding language, and since, i have moved to Java and C [i]in that order[/i], and i've been very pleased with how smoothly the transitions have gone. while i am by no means proficient in the latter, i can definitely pick up on things much more quickly with my background in web programming.

i'm also aware of several colleges and universities that teach Java as the base language before C or C++ to help weed out those who aren't cut out for the tougher languages. i tend to like that approach myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Umm, you guys dont know me.  My freind told me about this place and said it was pretty cool so I decided to check it out.

P.S.  I learned a decent amount of C++  In a book called "Learn C++ in 28 days"  Granted I didn't learn as much as I know now,  years later, but it is enough to start the fundementals of hacking.

A little about myself,

I am a hacker,  I do it for a living.  From defensive to aggresive.  I am very good at what I do,  I work for the goverment.  I have to admit I have done some "illegal hacking" but hey, it was my freinds site and I did it because his site was breaking down.  I can hack websites as well as seperate computers from a distance (Via Internet).  I have developed many extensions as well as created anti-hacking software for my personal use.  I have also made software that you can use to hack stuff, if you choose.

I started out years ago, and I do admit I must stay on my feet to keep up with tecnology.

I know so many languages it is hard to count.

(x)HTML
PHP
Perl
Java
Javascript
C, C+, C++, and C# <--They are all reletivaly the same
and many more.

I will not bother telling you my name for it is obvious based on my e-mail account

Anyone needing any help information or tests (I'll let you try to hack my comp<---lol)( I advise no one try yet because of my triiping program,  the goverment will know exactly your IP adress and everything else about you stored on your comp unless I pull down my connection to the office I work at)

Any questions please e-mail me @ Robert_potter49@yahoo.com  (I will not include my main account that I use at my office for personal reasons but I will check this one every now and again)

Have a good one

[quote]
do you even know what hacking is?
[/quote]

hacking is (to ME..) the flauciaucinahilipilificatious enterance into other systems, virtual\cyber areas, and operations that should otherwise be impossible for the soul purpose of exploration and gaining of knowledge with no intention or recourse of illicit or damaging activities

those who do use hacking as a means to cause damage are not hackers.. they are criminals..

[quote]
      Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers.  "Teenager
Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank
Tampering"... Damn kids.  They're all alike. But did you, in your three-
piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the
eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces
shaped him, what may have molded him? I am a hacker, enter my world...
Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the
other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...  Damn underachiever.
They're all alike. I'm in junior high or high school.  I've listened to
teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction.
I understand it.  "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work.  I did it in
my head..." Damn kid.  Probably copied it.  They're all alike.
I made a discovery today.  I found a computer.  Wait a second, this is
cool.  It does what I want it to.  If it makes a mistake, it's because I
screwed it up.  Not because it doesn't like me...  Or feels threatened by
me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be
here... Damn kid.  All he does is play games.  They're all alike. And then
it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line
like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out,
a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found.
"This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even
if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them
again... I know you all... Damn kid.  Tying up the phone line again.
They're all alike... You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been
spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of
meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless.
We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic.  The few
that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are
like drops of water in the desert.
   This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
beauty of the baud.  We make use of a service already existing without
paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering
gluttons, and you call us criminals.  We explore... and you call us
criminals.  We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals.  We
exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias...
and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you
murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our
own good, yet we're the criminals.
   Yes, I am a criminal.  My crime is that of curiosity.  My crime is
that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never
forgive me for. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto.  You may stop
this individual,but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.
                            +++The Mentor+++
[/quote]

"...the goverment will know exactly your IP adress and everything else about you stored on your comp unless I pull down my connection to the office I work at.."

Really? So the second I attempt to connect you somehow manage to download the entire contents of my 250gb hard drive instantly over my 512Kbps/up DSL? Must be magic.

let's try to keep on topic, guys. we're not talking about "hacking" in the traditional negative sense. we're simply talking about the ability to mod the core code of PHP to your own purposes. i don't care who can pull my information off my hard drive (which in an of itself could be considered illegal unless you're microsoft, apparently) or how fast they can do it. we're discussing the values of learning C in order to modify the core of PHP... that's all. i think thorpe has this understanding based on his posts above.

let's not get sidetracked from the theme of this thread.

[quote]
Really? So the second I attempt to connect you somehow manage to download the entire contents of my 250gb hard drive instantly over my 512Kbps/up DSL? Must be magic.
[/quote]
its not hard to scan an outside comp and know every file name in every directory in a  "Tree" template

(
C
---Documents and settings
------User
---------my documents
------------my pictures
----------------summer vac01.jpg
----------------summer vac02.jpg
----------------summer vac03.jpg
)
etc.. and have a simple text file of everything, 512kb/s could send a little 3-10kb text file pretty instantly.... and it wouldnt increase the size to much to have a desc added..
(
----------------summer vac01.jpg
                          Author: So&So
                          Ctime: july 4, 1994
                          Format: jpeg/Image File
                          etc..
)

so yes thats monitorable, also, a miniscule packet sniffer could be upoaded to your comp, which would monitor all data sent on your network, a keylogger to watch what you type on and offline, and of course a little trojan to upload your files slowly over time.. and no, just because these little virants are "viruses" doesnt mean your multitude of scanners will pick them up.

jsut clarifying things, back on topic now.. XD

Although I am further helping the off topic cause I would like to point out the complete falseness of the previous post.

1) You basically say "hey, he can get a file list of your computer instantly and it will be 3-10kb".
A) I hope you don't beleive that.  Two things wrong.  First, you thing that an entire HDD can be indexed instantly.  It's not that simple to pull the contents of a HDD and organize them.  Run Google Desktop and see how long it takes to index your files (yes, I know it is making a much more complicated arrangement of data, but you get the idea).  Second, that text has little to no size bitwise.  I've dealt with many raw data extracts in my day, and I can tell you that even plaintext files can get really big really fast.  Indexing (just a text structure) for a 250gb could be 50MB easily.  Windows comes with a 10,000 file overhead, not to mention every program and personal file that you put on your computer.  Basically... this isn't going to be indexed instantly and it isn't going to to transfer instantly either.

EDIT:  Just to give you an idea... I took your sample directory structure (just the filenames, no extra stuff)... and lets say... your hard drive structure is 100 times more than that VERY simple structure.  That makes a 19.3 KB file.  In reality... a 250GB hdd will have a dir structure that could be more in the order of 10,000 or 100,000 times more complex than the simple structure you posted (of one folder with 3 files... inside a few other folders)

2) Just upload a packet sniffer... keylogger?  In my experience only programs that are currently executing can actually access memory that is currently committed by Windows.  You can put anything you want into a user's temp Internet directories... but executing it remotely... I don't think so.  Not to mention that fact that even WINDOWS firewall will ask a user if they want to allow a program to access the internet to transmit data... let alone the much more secure 3rd party firewalls that most people have (ie: Symantec, McAfee, ZoneAlarm... etc).

I suppose I'd prefer not to incite any more arguing on this topic, but I coudln't resist bashing back.  This always happens when the term "hacking" comes up.  A bunch of little kids pounce on it and claim that they are "ub3r-1337 h@x0rs" and talk about all the things they can do... when in reality they know nothing about computers and the boundaries of what is and what isn't possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
(MODIFIED: I didn't take the time to see page 2, sorry :( you can delete if need be)
I agree with the guy about wannabe hackers.

I am not a hAck3r, I do not give my self a title to sound cool.

Hackers by the way are just people who modify programs to do their bidding (in a nutshell, short, sweet and to the point.)

I AM a novice/intermediate freelance programmer/network administrator and I do test my networks with brute force.

Ever since these three cinematics came out 1. Hackers, 2. The Matrix, and 3. Swordfish, people have been surfing around the net with a headphone cable duck taped to the back of their neck claiming to be a hacker.

Give it up, it's like parachute pants buddy.

My 2 cents complete.

Shockstomp

[quote author=Shockstomp link=topic=85628.msg466213#msg466213 date=1163194556]
Ever since these three cinematics came out 1. Hackers, 2. The Matrix, and 3. Swordfish, people have been surfing around the net with a headphone cable duck taped to the back of their neck claiming to be a hacker.
[/quote]

lmao... touche!

• 3 weeks later...
[quote author=thorpe link=topic=85628.msg389486#msg389486 date=1151645984]
[quote]you could probaly learn it within 21 days with a good book or tutorial.[/quote]
Im afraid no one is learning C in 21 days, whatever the title of the book says.
[/quote]

I disagree with this.  If you put in an hour a day for 21 days, you can achieve incredible results.  Most people who fail a "learn in X days" fail because they either didn't follow the instructions, or they didn't put in the time required.  Following instructions and doing regular practice takes inhuman patience and ego-suppression.

And if 99 out of 100 people who read the book don't learn in 21 days, that's because 99 out of 100 people are too lazy or to egotistic to put in the time and follow the instructions :)

I think the biggest thing is in the definition of what we mean by [i]learning[/i] a language. If you simply mean being able to duplicate some code and understand what it's doing (along with the obvious understanding of syntax and such), yes, I'll agree that you can "learn" a language in 21 days. However, and I tend to be of this mindset, if you mean being able to do any level of intelligent problem solving and possibly some coding from scratch, no, I don't believe someone can successfully learn a language that quickly.

Now, take into account that I started PHP with one of those 21 day books, too. All I had to show for my time at the end of 21 days was some duplicated code I'd copied and modified from the examples, a knowledge of the syntax, and a basic knowledge of the principles surrounding some of the most general concepts of PHP... and I [b]am[/b] one of those who takes my time, going through every line and page of the book ;)

It really comes down to the level of knowledge that you want to draw the line at as far as [i]learning a language[/i]... and obviously dependent on the intelligence level of the learner, too ;)

• 4 weeks later...
[quote author=thorpe link=topic=85628.msg389486#msg389486 date=1151645984]
[quote]you could probaly learn it within 21 days with a good book or tutorial.[/quote]
Im afraid no one is learning C in 21 days, whatever the title of the book says.
[/quote]

How about Sam's Teach yourself c++ in 10 minutes :)
[img]http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/067231603X.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
OK, we've gone so far off the beaten path that we're probably in the river. If one of you gentlemen is interested in continuing the "learning C or C++" discussion, please start over in the Miscellaneous forum - thanks.

And thorpe, I think he was agreeing with you - he was saying "How silly to claim to learn C++ in ten minutes!" But I could be wrong.