23 replies to this topic

#21 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:12 PM

I think the biggest thing is in the definition of what we mean by learning a language. If you simply mean being able to duplicate some code and understand what it's doing (along with the obvious understanding of syntax and such), yes, I'll agree that you can "learn" a language in 21 days. However, and I tend to be of this mindset, if you mean being able to do any level of intelligent problem solving and possibly some coding from scratch, no, I don't believe someone can successfully learn a language that quickly.

Now, take into account that I started PHP with one of those 21 day books, too. All I had to show for my time at the end of 21 days was some duplicated code I'd copied and modified from the examples, a knowledge of the syntax, and a basic knowledge of the principles surrounding some of the most general concepts of PHP... and I am one of those who takes my time, going through every line and page of the book ;)

It really comes down to the level of knowledge that you want to draw the line at as far as learning a language... and obviously dependent on the intelligence level of the learner, too ;)
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#22 play_

play_
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 717 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:13 AM

you could probaly learn it within 21 days with a good book or tutorial.

Im afraid no one is learning C in 21 days, whatever the title of the book says.

How about Sam's Teach yourself c++ in 10 minutes :)
Posted Image
regex.kat.sh --- regex library
u.kat.sh ---- url shortener
tabbit.org ---- tabbed pastebin

#23 trq

trq
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 31,041 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:01 AM

PHP is written in C not C++.

#24 neylitalo

neylitalo
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:33 AM

OK, we've gone so far off the beaten path that we're probably in the river. If one of you gentlemen is interested in continuing the "learning C or C++" discussion, please start over in the Miscellaneous forum - thanks.

And thorpe, I think he was agreeing with you - he was saying "How silly to claim to learn C++ in ten minutes!" But I could be wrong.
http://nealylitalo.net - My personal website, and home of The Netizen's Journal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users