Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

janggu

Generate login error after three attempts

Hello,

I need some help to generate a login error after three attempts. The login is validated by SESSION currently. There is a genetic error message for the login validation but it will say "Please contact admin." after three attemtps.

Thank you!

If your using sessions then create an extra session var, called [b][i]attempts[/i][/b] and increment attempts by 1 every time the user tries to login, then check whether $_SESSION['attampts'] is equal to three, if it is display error messages, else carry on.

Thanks for your info but I am not sure how to increment a session (I am still new in PHP). Could you please give me a detailed example?

[!--quoteo(post=345463:date=Feb 13 2006, 08:04 PM:name=wildteen88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wildteen88 @ Feb 13 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]345463[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If your using sessions then create an extra session var, called [b][i]attempts[/i][/b] and increment attempts by 1 every time the user tries to login, then check whether $_SESSION['attampts'] is equal to three, if it is display error messages, else carry on.
[/quote]

When the session is created:
$_SESSION['attampts'] = 0;

Then on the login page:

$_SESSION['attampts']++;

if ($_SESSION['attampts'] > 3) {
echo "You have attempted to login too many times";
} else {
...normal code...
}

I'm also interested in a similar script.

I tried the suggestion above, but the session does not go beyond 1 (it does not get incremented).

edit: got it!

$_SESSION['attampts'] = ++$_SESSION['attampts'];

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.