Pi_Mastuh

Which OS Do you prefer?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS Do you prefer?

• Windows
    • Mac
    • Linux based
    • Other

as a skank Im quite into free computing. My pc cost me 40 quid and is quite happy lamping it up to a couple of hundred people a day as well as being my desktop(kubuntu). My laptop cost me nothing. 500mhz of pure dell with a thundering 128mb of ram, I s**t thee not, this computer runs faster, easier and prettier than any install of any os I have ever seen ever (part from 0sx on me mates mac, but that cost him a grand!). Long live xubuntu!

It has taken me nearly a year to become halfway competent in running these machines. I've been through 3 distros finding one I like. However, how long did it take me to become compitent with windows, How long will it take my mate with his fancy new mac to become competent with that?

go and google "Windows survival time" then go and try to install the security patches on a fresh install before that 20 mins is up. How can people put any trust in Mr Gates when he knowingly creates and markets a system that is so obviously fundementally flawed. Its the apethy that really upsets me. I know there are ways you can do it securely but shouldn't that way be the default?

MacOS is lovely but I cant help noticing they are building there success on open source. Isn't todays mac a PC with a flash looking distro on it?

I saw in The Register the other day that microsoft have just signed a multi million dollar deal with novell with most of the cash going to novelle. Are the suse guys selling us all down the proprietry software creek? Microsoft phear Tux. They have no defence...none and they are loosing ground fast. Mac recognised what was happening and jumped on pretty damn quick with OSx.

Let the final battle commence. It will be fought not in the west with our apethy and Mbit dsl connections but in the newly opening markets of Africa, Asia and South America. Markets worth billions and billions of dollars. Will that money stay with the people as trained linux administrators or go over to the US to give gates another backscratcher?

Sorry bout the rant. time for my pills :-) oh NURSE!

• 3 weeks later...
I'll chip in the SkyOS vote here. May not be fully up there in hardware support, but they've got a fair amount of apps, and a killer community.

I also find the way they're doing purchasing/beta of it to be interesting. You can buy the final version now for $30, and get beta access, plus all minor version updates past the 5.0 final release.

It's really worth looking into for a simple, yet powerful desktop computer.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I voted linux but i never use it.  I would like to use it but there are 2 major issues i have, non stardard.  What i mena is that this one program could require you to upgrade a number of libraries because you linux distro decided not include that version.  Other reason is all my games and most of my development software work on windows and not linux/Mac OS.

[quote author=Liquid Fire link=topic=122346.msg657924#msg657924 date=1185828739]
I voted linux but i never use it.  I would like to use it but there are 2 major issues i have, non stardard.  What i mena is that this one program could require you to upgrade a number of libraries because you linux distro decided not include that version.  Other reason is all my games and most of my development software work on windows and not linux/Mac OS.
[/quote]
So, why do you prefer Linux?

[quote author=Liquid Fire link=topic=122346.msg657924#msg657924 date=1185828739]
this one program could require you to upgrade a number of libraries because you linux distro decided not include that version.
[/quote]

As long as you stay within the packages provided by your distribution, you won't have that problem. When you decide to start building your own applications from source code, you should expect that you might have library version mismatches.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=122346.msg658341#msg658341 date=1185865265]
this one program could require you to upgrade a number of libraries because you linux distro decided not include that version.
[/quote]

As long as you stay within the packages provided by your distribution, you won't have that problem. When you decide to start building your own applications from source code, you should expect that you might have library version mismatches.
[/quote]
It not like every distribution provides a packages for every product i might need.

[quote author=SemiApocalyptic link=topic=122346.msg657996#msg657996 date=1185831905]
I voted linux but i never use it.  I would like to use it but there are 2 major issues i have, non standard.  What i mean is that this one program could require you to upgrade a number of libraries because you linux distro decided not include that version.  Other reason is all my games and most of my development software work on windows and not linux/Mac OS.
[/quote]
So, why do you prefer Linux?
[/quote]
For one i think it is a little more secure however most issue that people get with windows is because of the user fault anyways.  It is also free.  Also i don't like how Microsoft does it business.  For instance, them release Vista when it was clearly too soon.

[quote author=Pi_Mastuh link=topic=122346.msg504570#msg504570 date=1168790001]
Windows
Mac
Linux
Other
[/quote]Linux is definitely hands down the best Operating System.
But sadly, most people are unable to make good games that can run on Linux, so I am forced to use windows or else not be able to play my favorite games :(
*Sigh* damn monopoly..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.