Stylesheet Switcher

Javizy

I've been meaning to get something online for a while so I finally bought some space and uploaded [a href=\"http://www.james-kirk.co.uk/\" target=\"_blank\"]THIS SITE[/a].

Would appreciate any comments/suggestions and especially knowing any problems people have with it.

No real content so far, but there are 3 different looks you can switch between using the little squares next to SKIN at the top.

[!--quoteo(post=345552:date=Feb 14 2006, 02:06 AM:name=moberemk)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(moberemk @ Feb 14 2006, 02:06 AM) [snapback]345552[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Aside from the pink skin, everything looks great! Good job!
*shiver* Pink...
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, I'm quite pleased with the water one. I'm kinda lucky to have a photographer as a friend :-)

Haha, I was messing around with the flower picture in photoshop and thought I'd turn it into a skin. Not sure if even I like it... one for the ladies maybe, I dunno ^_^

[!--quoteo(post=345630:date=Feb 14 2006, 01:13 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Feb 14 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]345630[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The blue one looks pretty decent, but I don't really like the others.
[/quote]

yeah i'd agree with that. my order of preference for the skins is in the order they're in. best=water one, worst = pink one. green one is ok.

only thing i don't like about the blue one is that the content seems a little far down the page. as there's only about 3 or 4 'links' in your nav that fall off the bottom of my screen, i reckon you could safely shift the whole thing up slightly to bring the main content more into view.

i will probably mirror some of what has been said, but i'll try to elaborate a little. first off, let me say, i absolutely LOVE the blue layout! the picture is gorgeous, and i can't get over how well the design flows together. seriously, major kudos on that one! the colors, pictures, menu... all of it: very, very well done. now, on to the "others" ;-)

GREEN: not bad at all, but it's a little plain. there is one thing on it that i don't like at all, though: i can't stand when link text actually [i]changes[/i] when i hover over it. for instance, your menu "jumps" because it becomes italicized when you hover... not the best look. color, underline, border, or other "decorations" are great to play with, but i think the text itself should be fixed. next, i really think that a dark background (maybe a shade of your dark green) would really change the whole mood of that layout into something more inviting. it's just bland. it's still very clean, but needs a little something.

PINK: ah! beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but i still have yet to find a pink themed layout i really like. the picture of the flower is gorgeous, and it would be a WONDERFUL addition to a banner for maybe another blue theme, but when everything is pink, it's extremely washed out. pink is not a color that's easy to compliment with more pink ;-). as far as the layout itself, it's just kind of "more-of-the-same", but again, it's very clean.

like i said, i repeated a lot, but i hope i gave you enough to know WHY i feel the way i do about the different designs. overall, great work, though!

keep up the good work! i look forward to seeing the finished product.

[!--quoteo(post=345752:date=Feb 14 2006, 06:40 PM:name=obsidian)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(obsidian @ Feb 14 2006, 06:40 PM) [snapback]345752[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i will probably mirror some of what has been said, but i'll try to elaborate a little. first off, let me say, i absolutely LOVE the blue layout! the picture is gorgeous, and i can't get over how well the design flows together. seriously, major kudos on that one! the colors, pictures, menu... all of it: very, very well done. now, on to the "others" ;-)

GREEN: not bad at all, but it's a little plain. there is one thing on it that i don't like at all, though: i can't stand when link text actually [i]changes[/i] when i hover over it. for instance, your menu "jumps" because it becomes italicized when you hover... not the best look. color, underline, border, or other "decorations" are great to play with, but i think the text itself should be fixed. next, i really think that a dark background (maybe a shade of your dark green) would really change the whole mood of that layout into something more inviting. it's just bland. it's still very clean, but needs a little something.

PINK: ah! beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but i still have yet to find a pink themed layout i really like. the picture of the flower is gorgeous, and it would be a WONDERFUL addition to a banner for maybe another blue theme, but when everything is pink, it's extremely washed out. pink is not a color that's easy to compliment with more pink ;-). as far as the layout itself, it's just kind of "more-of-the-same", but again, it's very clean.

like i said, i repeated a lot, but i hope i gave you enough to know WHY i feel the way i do about the different designs. overall, great work, though!

keep up the good work! i look forward to seeing the finished product.
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to comment, and I actually agree with all of what you said.

The green hovers do also jump 5px to the right as well as italicising. I wanted to try something different but I think I'll change that. The pale green [i]is[/i] quite bland so I'll mess about with the colours at some point.

With the pink one the only reason it made it on there is because I thought the flower looked great. I didn't think any other colours would go with it so I just stuck with pink, but I'll play around with that as well.

Thanks to everyone else who commented. I think I'll cut out a bit of sky to bring the content up, although it looks quite good in 1280x1024 :-)

[!--quoteo(post=345772:date=Feb 14 2006, 02:23 PM:name=Javizy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Javizy @ Feb 14 2006, 02:23 PM) [snapback]345772[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Thanks to everyone else who commented. I think I'll cut out a bit of sky to bring the content up, although it looks quite good in 1280x1024 :-)
[/quote]

i agree. it looks great either way. don't cut too much off ;-)

I didn't read everything, but I just thought I'd comment on the blue design like everyone else... it looks fantastic.

Your layouts appear to be pretty solid, even with the other style sheets, but I personally don't like your method of style-sheet switching. You should really be able to accomplish that using sessions instead of passing the style selection through each link.

Just a suggestion.

[!--quoteo(post=347675:date=Feb 20 2006, 06:24 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Feb 20 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]347675[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I didn't read everything, but I just thought I'd comment on the blue design like everyone else... it looks fantastic.

Your layouts appear to be pretty solid, even with the other style sheets, but I personally don't like your method of style-sheet switching. You should really be able to accomplish that using sessions instead of passing the style selection through each link.

Just a suggestion.
[/quote]

Thanks. The selection is passed once with a GET, and the value is stored in a cookie so the style can be kept on each page. I changed it to use a redirect too so you never see the URL rewriting.

The other styles need quite a bit of work, so I'm not even sure if I'll keep the skin feature at this rate ^_^

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.