Random Thoughts 2

SharkBait

Alright last Random Thought for the day :P

What do you use and how do you use it. In regards to Web Development and Testing?

My development is on a Winbox (due to the fact I also work with Visual Studio) and for editing I use Crimson (because I havent found another text editor I like).

As for how its set up, I have a linux box running my test Webserver with Samba set up. The samba share is mapped on my Winbox and I have full write privileges to it so editing files on my linux box is easier.

The Linux box is private on my work's network, so when I consult collegues or marketing, they just have to point their favourate browser to my webserver. I dont care for security on the test webserver. Working on my web stuff seems easier and more efficient now.

Yes I understand I could run Apache and PHP and MySQL all on my Winbox (I used to) but this now frees up a bit of my resources for when I use Photoshop or VisualStudio or whatever else I may be doing. And it's more fun to play with my Linux box than it is with my Winbox in regards to Apache and such. I've never really been a fan of using windows as a server ;)

So does anyone else do something like this? If not, what do you use/do?

well my PC is ancient so i'm pretty stingy with my resources.

i work on linux, editor is usually Vim, i might use gedit once in a blue moon. usually when i'm working, i switch to terminal...so i'd have Vim open for editing and another terminal for Lynx to check the HTML output and yet another terminal for browsing my directories.

after im done with the functionality, i'd use Firefox and the other browsers to check the cosmetics.

I can't recomment the ZDE (Zend Development) environement enough the profiling will save you so much time of trying to figure out wtf is slowing down. and all the coding is so beautiful but ya it does take a bit of ressources and i also use wamp to get things up and running quickly

LAMP currently, but it has been WAMP for about 4 years.

In the last month I've removed windows entirely and gone to a Fedora Core 4 system (I wish I could say it was a concious choice, I simply messed up a partition resize and ended up with a Linux only system).

I do find great advantages to working on a linux system, most project deployment's are done by script now as are my backups.

Editing is done by nano currently, I've used Gedit a bit - I've installed bluefish and quanta but I've not ventured in there yet.

Sites are checked by firefox mostly, I've got a copy running constantly just to test local sites on.

I'm lucky I have the choice of OS to develop from, if I was doing this at work (I'm actually a vb.net developer by day) I'd be stuck on a WAMP set up again.

For me personnaly there is a lot to be said about native development, working on linux and deploying to linux means I don't suffer issues between my WAMP set up and a LAMP set up.

~Dan

2 setups:

Work: I run Homesite 5.5 for my editing, Topstyle Lite for CSS, Corel for photo editing. Homesite ties into a mapped drive on a W2K Server running IIS 6 (not my choice). That ties into a MSSQL 2K server... well 2 of them... a development version running on a second computer in my office, and our production server running somewhere in a local IT server farm.

Home: Homesite 5.5 again, and the same with the rest of the software. I develop the files locally and FTP to my remote host running Apache & MySQL.

Testing: I develop with Opera but normally test with Firefox, IE, and Netscape. I also use a few web-based validators ((X)HTML/CSS).

I'd love to own ZDE, but I don't have that kind of cash sitting around, and I haven't asked my company to buy it for me either.

I have manuallly installed Apache, PHP5 and MySQL 4 on my personal computer running XP Home. When coding in PHP I use [b]Rapid PHP 2005[/b] which is like an IDE as you can set it to the PHP intipreter and you can debug your scripts with the built in preview function and other various options within the editor. I also use it for general HTML coding however if I'm doing a lot of HTML then I'll switch to Dreamweaver. If I am using CSS then I use [b]TopStyle Lite[/b] for all my CSS.

When testing my HTML/CSS design I'll use Opera, IE and FF just to see if my site looks good within all three browsers.

My office machine and my home machine is set-up pretty much the same for development: Win XP Pro, Apache 2, PHP 4, MySQL 3 - Maguma Studio for writing my scripts, testing in IE, FireFox and Opera. I also have a Fedora Box and a Mac running OS X Tiger for testing too, on the infrequent occasion that I am writing scripts on my Mac, I use Komodo. I have a live test/development server that is running on FreeBSD, Apache 1.x.x, PHP 4, MySQL 3 that is hosted in a data center which is the same as my live production server in the same data center for when my projects go live.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.