A PINK web site for OBSIDIAN to critique

AV1611

Pink? *shiver*
Aside from the whole "Pink is evil" thing, this does look pretty good! the flower is nice, but the image is WAY too big from my POV. Also, the font could use some work too-I really don't like the way that you have the font, with too much curlyness for my tastes. Still, this is really good!

[!--quoteo(post=347721:date=Feb 20 2006, 03:29 PM:name=AV1611)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(AV1611 @ Feb 20 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]347721[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You said you've never seen a PINK web site you liked... My daughter wants to know what you think of hers...

[a href=\"http://baptistkitty.baptistrevival.com\" target=\"_blank\"]LINK[/a]

(Only the first page is done... ignore the rest...)
[/quote]

hehe... i stand corrected ;-). i must say, i really like the design overall. there are several little things here and there that i would recommend working on, but the actual design is quite pleasing. that is one shade of pink i think i could definitely live with on a website ;-). but, since we're in a critique forum, i'll list some of the things i would recommend touching on:

1) Background Image. it's VERY big. 1000 x 525 is very large as far as physical size goes, but i must say that keeping that image under 52KB is pretty good. load time isn't super bad since that's really the only image to speak of on the page, so it's workable.

2) Fluid or Static width? -- the site looked great when i opened up to 1024 x 768 resolution, but if you go bigger or smaller, the alignment of the text doesn't line exactly up with the columns in the background image. basically, i think if there is any way to make the lighter column images part of the columns themselves rather than part of the background image, it would be a little more flexible. with that sort of design, though, you really may want to consider going with a static width. that way, you'll always assure that your columns will be exactly where you want them to be.

3) Right Links. the ones that wrap onto two lines really have a lot of space between the lines. i would recommend dropping the line-height on those <p> tags to something like 1em or maybe less. i would also recommend you considering switching from using <p> tags in that list to an unordered list of styled links. you may also think about some other way to distinguish your links from the rest of the page text. right now, the ONLY way you have to know they are links is by the header (besides the text-decoration when you hover over them). maybe a slight color alteration or some other way of distinguishing links from the rest of the text on the page.

ok, i think i'm done ;-)... after all that, though, let me say that these are ALL preference things, not necessarily practice things. if you don't like the suggestions, don't use them. you have a great start to the site already, and i'd definitely like to see the finished product as you get going on it more.

thanks for sharing! ;-)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.