Need to run a PHP script when window closes or changes

jrcarr

Hello,
I've gotten pretty good a programming in PHP, however, my Javascript leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm looking for a way to run a small PHP function with a just a mysql_query if someone closes the browser window or leaves the page and navigates to another page. I'm assuming I need to use onunload() in the body tag, but I don't know if I can use it to call a PHP function directly or if I need to create a Javascript function, that calls a php function. If this is possible, could someone show me some basic code to achieve this. Thanks in advance

Jack

• 2 weeks later...
to elaborate on eors comment..

the server parses the php code first, which sends the results to the client, which the clients browser then parses the javascript. but there are a few 'possible' solutions to your problem, depending on your needs.

how about... calling a new window, maybe a popup, that contains the code needed to run? and of course it could close itself, minimizing user interaction.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.