all county financial

jcombs_31

This is a site I'm working on for a client. He liked a certain template so I based the site on that template. I did it all from scratch, but like I said, it was based on a template. [a href=\"http://www.jcombs.net/~jeff/allcounty\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.jcombs.net/~jeff/allcounty[/a]

The site may load a little slow because I have not optimized the images enough yet. I need to compress a little more. I plugged in mostly dummy text and forms too because I'm of course waiting for content.

Anyway, how's it look?

i agree on the hover for the menu. i never care to see text "jump" on a hover. a fade or color change is usually sufficient to get the point accross. i would challenge the client with this: what's the point of having the flash animation? what will it accomplish on the page? i've come to the conclusion that if there is a POINT to it, it's great, but way too many sites have gone to having a flash banner or whatever with no real point to it. if it's there just to make the site look flashy, it's a waste of space.

other than the menu, though, i really like the overall look. the cool colors really make a nice impact. i would, though recommend (and you may already have plans for this) making the quotes be text rather than a big image.

all in all, i think it's great. you're right about the load time being a little heavy, but you already mentioned cleaning up the image optimization some, so i'm cool with that, too.

good work!

[!--quoteo(post=348467:date=Feb 22 2006, 03:18 PM:name=obsidian)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(obsidian @ Feb 22 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]348467[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i agree on the hover for the menu. i never care to see text "jump" on a hover. a fade or color change is usually sufficient to get the point accross. i would challenge the client with this: what's the point of having the flash animation? what will it accomplish on the page? i've come to the conclusion that if there is a POINT to it, it's great, but way too many sites have gone to having a flash banner or whatever with no real point to it. if it's there just to make the site look flashy, it's a waste of space.

other than the menu, though, i really like the overall look. the cool colors really make a nice impact. i would, though recommend (and you may already have plans for this) making the quotes be text rather than a big image.

all in all, i think it's great. you're right about the load time being a little heavy, but you already mentioned cleaning up the image optimization some, so i'm cool with that, too.

good work!
[/quote]

Well, I'm working with the client indirectly. he is actually a client of my good friend, who is an IT consultant, so I 'm working through my friend who is talking with him. I've explained flash to him. People who don't know anything about web design like how flash is catchy and moves. It is hard to change somebody's mind when they see something they like (especially when the template he looked at had flash as the header). I like some flash to be honest and think it has it place, but not really for this type of site. Oh well, I've been putting it aside for some time now and want to learn at least some tricks for when clients want flash on their sites.

As for the quote image, that was just a quick place holder from when I was drawing the site in photoshop. It will become text, besides maybe the quotes. I will reduce some of the images size, with the exception of the main image in the banner because I don't like how photos look when they are reduced too much.

[!--quoteo(post=348544:date=Feb 22 2006, 07:39 PM:name=emehrkay)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(emehrkay @ Feb 22 2006, 07:39 PM) [snapback]348544[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i think it looks good. id just say work on your masking in photoshop and you're money
[/quote]

more specific about masking?

here's a sample I did with a flash banner (not complete)

[a href=\"http://www.jcombs.net/~jeff/allcounty/test.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.jcombs.net/~jeff/allcounty/test.php[/a]

The flash looks ok. I like the coloured icons - Home - Contact - Site Map.

Can you get coloured icons for your Left Nav aswell? For Get a Loan etc...

Regarding the width :-
Just in relation to the width of the left Nav - well just that the text width is 1/3 width of the main div. Its just a point - Im sure you know better.

Other than that - nice.
Rgds,
Steve

Looks pretty sharp, Jeff. I'm not crazy about the flash, as it doesn't really add anything than a quick animation when the page loads.... and if you don't look at it until it's done loading, you'll miss it anyways.

I agree with obsidian... if you can find a way to just keep the quotes in text, it'll save you some bandwidth. I know you like to use images for stuff like that on your sites (I'm recalling a price image on that orange site you did), but I think this is one case where you could work that one out with text.

I'm the same with the other guys on the nav... you could get a better effect with straight CSS and I don't know that anyone likes a jumping menu item.

[!--quoteo(post=348555:date=Feb 22 2006, 08:26 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Feb 22 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]348555[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

[a href=\"http://www.jcombs.net/~jeff/allcounty/test.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.jcombs.net/~jeff/allcounty/test.php[/a]
[/quote]

i believe he's referring to the slight halo around the people sitting at the table. there are spots where they have not been cropped extremely closely that you could probably touch up with some masking and get rid of the ghosting you have there.

as for the flash, i'll have to go with ober... if you're going to have it, i would do SOMETHING in the header itself that moves or fades or scrolls or something that makes use of the flash. instead of simply a large load time for an animated intro, i'd focus on some little features here or there that animate IN the banner itself.

again, i'm not a great designer, so i'm shooting from the hip on this one, but i figured i'd throw out my thoughts ;-)

Thanks for the feedback guys. As for the flash, I agree it isn't necessary, but the client wants it, even a simple intro animation. The only other thing that would animate would be the menu, but I'm working on learning to create good buttons (again, I'm new to flash). The flash also loads pretty quick for me, is it slow for you guys?

I'm still waiting for content as well, and probably would only have the index page animate with flash. I can probably do away with the moving buttons, but again, he kinda wanted it that way, we'll have to see.

[!--quoteo(post=348555:date=Feb 22 2006, 08:26 PM:name=jcombs_31)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(jcombs_31 @ Feb 22 2006, 08:26 PM) [snapback]348555[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

[/quote]
when you drop the background, or whatever, out of an image. you still have/had some white around your characters in the header

[!--quoteo(post=349606:date=Feb 26 2006, 12:51 PM:name=emehrkay)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(emehrkay @ Feb 26 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]349606[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
when you drop the background, or whatever, out of an image. you still have/had some white around your characters in the header
[/quote]

I believe for the most part it was the reflection of light, but I'll see if I can improve it at all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.