Walk through all arrays in a script

deadonarrival

I've got a script, and for debugging purposes I want to be able to walk through every array (well, objects using mysql_fetch_object) in the entire script and pring out the key->value.

I know how to do this for each individual array, but I want a small piece of code to do it for me in an include - and the fact that each page has different arrays.

Basically is it possible to go through every array and print out the key->value without making manual foreach loops for each one?

I'd guess no because it could be used to show sensitive information, but it's worth a try!

Any help appreciated
<3 jon

For starters, objects and array are different so which is it? You can't iterate through objects in php4 only php5.

If your just doing this for debugging you might want to take a look at [url=http://php.net/print_r]print_r[/url]().

You should be able to use the function [url=http://www.php.net/get_defined_vars]get_defined_vars()[/url] something like this:
[code]<?php
$def_var = get_defined_vars();
foreach ($def_var as $var)
    if (is_array($var))echo "<pre>$var:" . print_r($var,true) . '</pre>';
?>[/code]

Note: this is untested.

Ken

Thanks kenrbnsn, brilliant :) ... it brings up every single array, including the php superglobals, but I'm sure that can be sorted. I'll have a play with it later - although if anyone knows an easier way that would be appreciated too.

<3

(Nb, not gonna set this as solved, because it's not - I'll check back later with what I get :) )

This is the tested script, which doesn't print the $GLOBALS array:
[code]<?php
foreach ($def_var as $var => $x)
    if (is_array($x) && $var != 'GLOBALS')echo "<pre>$var:" . print_r($x,true) . '</pre>';
?>[/code]

Ken

No, that's how it works. If you don't want to see them, make an array that contains the names of the arrays you don't want to see (be sure to include the name of the array you're creating) and only display the arrays found if they are not in this array.

For example:
[code]<?php
$dns = array('dns','_POST','_GET','_REQUEST','GLOBALS','_COOKIE','FILES','HTTP_POST_VARS','HTTP_GET_VARS');
foreach ($def_var as $var => $x)
    if (is_array($x) && !in_array($var,$dns))echo "<pre>$var:" . print_r($x,true) . '</pre>';
?>[/code]

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.