What kind of nappies do you use?

obsidian

[quote author=ober link=topic=123688.msg514035#msg514035 date=1169826921]
*you will go home and re-think your career in web development and technology in general.  You will then donate half of your money to PHPFreaks and the other half to ober's-daughter-poops-too-much-and-requires-too-many-diapers fund*.
[/quote]

Haha... I'm still trying to get my son out of [b]his[/b] diapers with half my money ;)

Well, I haven't personally washed them yet (my wife does it during the day)... but we have a stainless steel trash can we keep in her room with a special liner.  You take the insert out of the actual cloth diaper (we're using pocket diapers that have a cushy insert that soaks stuff up) and throw both into the pail.  Then you take the liner out and dump it all in the washer.  It's not bad now because nothing is solid... but when it is you just dump that in the toilet and the rest is the same.

We only recently got into it.  We used disposables for the first few weeks to make sure she wouldn't stain them with the merconium (sp?).

EDIT:... in case you were wondering, yes the odor from the trash can is rather foul when you open the lid... but it seals pretty good when closed and you don't even know it's there.

[quote author=ober link=topic=123688.msg514078#msg514078 date=1169829539]
EDIT:... in case you were wondering, yes the odor from the trash can is rather foul when you open the lid... but it seals pretty good when closed and you don't even know it's there.
[/quote]

Hehe... Thank you, Diaper Genie!

Trust me... look around for the math on it... you would typically spend close to 2 grand on disposable diapers for one kid.  We'll probably spend about 800, give or take, on the cloth diapers (and less than that since we asked for some for Christmas).  Now... those can be used for kid #2, #3, etc.  And the soap/water/electricity to wash and dry them is really negligable.

And washing/drying them isn't really that big of a deal either.  We put them in before we go to bed and I move them to the dryer when I'm up for a mid-morning feeding.  They're done and ready to use by the time we're up for the next day.

I think you'll reconsider when the baby starts eating real food.  The milk/formula poop is not that bad.  All of those garbage cans suck, I've used a couple different ones and they are smell horrible.  Now I always take a dirty diaper right outside in a plastic shopping bag.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=124192.msg514201#msg514201 date=1169839314]
[quote author=cmgmyr link=topic=123688.msg514183#msg514183 date=1169838078]
wow, talk about getting off topic! haha ;)
[/quote]

What, you mean changing diapers doesn't attribute you to a higher level of programmer? ;) :P
[/quote]

That depends on if you actually wanted the outcome of your "program".  :D

A quick calculation on about how many diapers my wife and I have changed so far (for our own kids) puts us at around the 16,000 mark, with another probably 7-8k more to go.  (My math is based on about 3.5 years of diaper changing per kid, and about 4 diapers a day.  I picked 4 because in the beginning it's more, but in the end, it's less. I figured 4 was a good median, overall).  About $6 per pack of 40 diapers (we get generic)... yeah that's a lot of $$. 

But, I guess I'm just willing to pay for the convenience on this issue. Another thing that I personally have thrown into the pros/cons of disposable vs. cloth is that we've spent most of our time living in apartments, throughout the years.  Most of them have not had washer/dryer connections, so that means we go down to the laundromat and put many $$ worth of quarters into their machines.  And lugging your clothes to the laundromat is much less convenient than having a washer and dryer in your house.  I think that that has played a significant part in deciding which way to go, for me.

CV, I'll add to that the value that when the kids are small enough to be going through more than 4 a day or so, there are also a bunch more in each package, so that works out well. One other consideration is that my kids go to day care, so while they're at the center, they have to have disposable. Can you imagine a nursery worker having to change a cloth diaper and save it to send home with the parents when they pick the kids up??? Wow... that would be a mess.

[quote author=obsidian link=topic=124192.msg514265#msg514265 date=1169842085]
One other consideration is that my kids go to day care, so while they're at the center, they have to have disposable. Can you imagine a nursery worker having to change a cloth diaper and save it to send home with the parents when they pick the kids up??? Wow... that would be a mess.
[/quote]

My wife used to work at a daycare that actually allowed that. There were several parents who got mad when the daycare didn't have the soiled diaper washed/dried for them, when they came to pick up their kid.  She was like "dude, if you want your kid to be in cloth diapers, that's your choice.  But I'm here to watch your kid, not do your laundry."

Well... in that case definately I'd go disposable.  You have to wash them at least every other day to keep them from staining.

And I think it was jcombs that mentioned "folding"... there's no folding involved... most of ours have snaps and the rest are velcro.  They're actually really easy to use.

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=124192.msg514269#msg514269 date=1169842425]
My wife used to work at a daycare that actually allowed that. There were several parents who got mad when the daycare didn't have the soiled diaper washed/dried for them, when they came to pick up their kid.  She was like "dude, if you want your kid to be in cloth diapers, that's your choice.  But I'm here to watch your kid, not do your laundry."
[/quote]

Oh, wow. My wife worked at one for a while, too, and I've never heard of one to allow that. I can't imagine expecting someone else to take that level of responsibility for my child, though.

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=124192.msg514269#msg514269 date=1169842425]
[/quote]
WOW.  I guess I'm lucky in that regard that my wife is planning to stay home with ours, at least for a few years.

[quote author=ober link=topic=124192.msg514279#msg514279 date=1169842679]
WOW.  I guess I'm lucky in that regard that my wife is planning to stay home with ours, at least for a few years.
[/quote]

Yea, that's awesome. My wife was able to stay home for the first 2 1/2 years with our daughter, but our son was thrown right into daycare at 6 weeks :( ... the good news, though: if my new job pans out for this summer, my wife will get to be a stay at home mom again! That will be sooo nice.

[quote author=ober link=topic=124192.msg514306#msg514306 date=1169843686]
That's awesome.  I didn't know if things would be too tight for us as well without my wife working, but I got a really nice raise recently and I think we'll be ok now.
[/quote]
I hear that. I'm really hoping this pans out. It would be a decent relocation, but the benefits would be incredible. Plus, I'd be making a bit more than what the two of us are making combined currently, so she'd for sure be able to stay home.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.