Encode/Decode

cerin

I have successfully encoded some text using the Encode command referred to [a href=\"http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/encryption-functions.html\" target=\"_blank\"]here[/a]. Now, I am trying to decode the string I just encoded. I don't see what exactly I have to pass as the arguement "crypt_str" or at least how to identify it without typing the encoded text. I have tried stuff like
[code]WHERE userid='username' SET password=DECODE(tons of tried things here,'password');[/code]

I seems to me that MySQL has syntax with zero flexibility.

To encode something:

UPDATE table SET passwordcolumn = ENCODE("thePassword", "yourSalt") WHERE id=1;

To decode it:

SELECT DECODE(passwordcolumn, "yourSalt") FROM table WHERE id=1;

You must choose a salt, that is your secret key for decoding the string. If there was no secret key, and all you had to do to decode it was say DECODE(passwordcolumn), then anybody could do it, and there'd be no point encrypting it. Clear?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.