American Idol, anyone?

obsidian

Well, typically, I don't get into the whole [i]America must decide...[/i] kind of shows, but things change when you actually know someone in one. A buddy of mine since college, who now happens to live across the street from my family with his wife, auditioned for American Idol, and is going to be on the show tomorrow (Tuesday) for the Birmingham auditions. How do I know? He was the one [i]good[/i] audition they showed a few seconds of during the previews for this week last Wednesday. If you are a fan, or if you care to watch, look for a white guy with glasses and a pretty hefty afro. Chris Sligh is his name, and from what I remember of what he said after his callback, Paula "loves" him.

Pretty cool stuff.

[quote author=cmgmyr link=topic=124569.msg516267#msg516267 date=1170095700]
Thats pretty cool, I'll have to try to remember and catch that. :)
[/quote]

Yea, he's actually really good. I've got one of his albums that his band put out, and as far as vocals go, he's really got a good voice. He doesn't exactly [b]look[/b] like an American Idol, though :P hehe

[quote author=jesirose link=topic=124569.msg516274#msg516274 date=1170095818]
I only watch during the first few weeks when they all suck :) But congrats to your friend. I'd like to audition, but I'm not very confident.
[/quote]
Yea, that's just it: they only show like one good audition for every 10-15 horrible ones, so I'm just pumped they chose his to show during these first few weeks. I'm hoping he makes it past the actual Hollywood cuts and makes the live show, though.

Well, don't know how many of you actually caught it last night, but apparently, Chris did a lot better than I even figured he would. He got a standing O from Paula, and a very, very favorable review from Simon and Randy, too. Not only that, but rumors are flying, based on some hints in interviews by the judges, that he may just be their favorite.

Check this out: http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2007/01/is_chris_sligh_.html

Rock on, Chris!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I've let the thread drop for a while, but after the week of Hollywood cuts, he's in the final 40! Dude, my man rocks! Anyway, he rocked the house during the "group day" with 3 of the other great male vocalists there, and they got an incredible response from the judges [b]and[/b] the crowd.

Needless to say, I'll be watching tonight to see if he makes the cut to the final 24... at this point, I'm definitely supporting him all the way. I think he's a ton better than some of the other guys on there, but with my skepticism, I'm saying I'd put him in competition with the top 5-6 people I've heard so far on the show. I've got his album if anyone's interested in hearing some of his original stuff, too. I'll see if I can put together a flash player and share some of them... cool stuff.

If he gets enough notoriety, I'm definitely going to hit him up for his website deal... that would be awesome.

[quote author=dustinnoe link=topic=124569.msg534800#msg534800 date=1172034596]
"I'll bet you guys are wondering why I called this meeting today"
[/quote]

Yea, what cracks me up is that that is really him. He has such a dry sense of humor. Last night wasn't one of his best performances I've heard from him, but his comment to Simon ([i]"Sorry I couldn't sing something from Il Divo or Tellitubbies"[/i]) was pretty good.

So, on the way to work this morning I was listening to the radio like I usually do and the DJ started talking about American Idol. He said he was rooting for the white guy with the afro. :) He said that he really likes him AND he looks like Ozzy's son. I thought that was pretty funny.

See he is even all over the radio! He'll be the next american idol...

It's pretty cool to hear all the hype about someone you know. I mean, I think about him as the guy that taught me to play guitar in college. My wife even sold a couple guitars for him on eBay, for crying out loud! LOL ... I have a friend in CA that heard some Idol info about a guy from Greenville, and said, "Yea, I really like him. You wouldn't happen to have met him, would you?" So, I figure if he's getting people that like him from both coasts, he's doing alright. I keep telling people I'll be his promoter ;)

[quote author=dustinnoe link=topic=124569.msg536502#msg536502 date=1172208396]
[quote]I keep telling people I'll be his promoter [/quote]

Me too.  Anybody that can dis Simon like that and have Simon say "I like this guy" has my vote.
[/quote]

Haha... no kidding.

Well, he's lasted another week. Top 20 and still going... I'm starting to root for him to go all the way, although he'll have to really pick up the pace to outshine some of the other voices on there. I think that he's got a ton more personality on his side, though, so I think there's a good chance.

[quote author=dustinnoe link=topic=124569.msg540445#msg540445 date=1172643506]
He did awesome tonight.  I'm positive he's going through to the top 12!
[/quote]
Yea, he pretty much rocked the house last night. It was really good to see Sarah there with him last night, too. I was just glad she was finally able to get out there to be with him. I kept watching their house, and it finally stayed dark this week, so I figured she was out there, and seeing her on the show kind of confirmed it :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.