php and ecommerce...

joshman13

i've been offering clients complete website packages for a long time... domain name, hosting, website design, etc., so they can have a one-stop-shop basically. most of the sites that i have looked that offer the same similar thing also offer some type of ecommerce package.

building a php shopping cart is prlly something that i'm capable of at this point, but that part that i have no clue about is the payment processing. i think the only thing i really know is that they'll need an ssl to encrypt the data. if anyone can shed some light on how the whole process works, including any steps through third party companies or whatever i have to do to set up automated credit processing, i would be very greatful. thanks again!

Most web hosts offer to set up an installation of osCommerce, an open source web package for running an online store. It's a very popular solution for small time operations. Even some bigtime operations start with osCommerce and hire programmers to modify it.

As far as credit card processing, authorize.net is one of the most popular services. You send them the data over HTTP post and they process the payment and send you the results. There are several modules for osCommerce that can automatically communicate with authorize.net. Of course, there are many other payment processors, look around and try to find the best deal.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.