Only one record set as default

SweetLou

I have a table that lists my rugby team's match reports. On the web page, I want to display a "default" match report, then have a menu where users can select a different report. The table consists of 7 fields.[code]
report_id game_id report_title game_date game_score report_text default_report[/code]
Default_report is a type tinyint(1). If this value is "1", then it is the default and it will be displayed.
My question is: Is there a way to make the field default_report only have one record with the value of "1", the rest should be "0", when I set a new record as the default, the old default will be changed to "0"?
If that is not possible, and I can only change the values through a query, which way would be best?
Should I make all the values in default_report be "0", then update the report I want to be "1"? Something like:[code]$query = "UPDATE match_reports SET default_report='0';
mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

$query2 = "UPDATE match_reports SET report_title ='" . $report_title . "', game_date='" . $game_date . "', game_score='" . $game_score . "', report_text='" . $report_text . "', default_report='" . $default_report . "' WHERE game_id='" . $game_id . "'";
mysql_query($query2) or die(mysql_error());[/code]

Is there a better way?

Well, that sounds good, but we want the latest match's report to be the default report to be shown on the site. So, the default report should change weekly during the season, unless the person in charge of updating the match reports doesn't do it.
I was thinking about doing it by date, but that won't be good, because we could have records for future games already in the database.

I think I understand what you mean, it just dawned on me. Instead of having a field of default_record, create a new table. That table would be set up something like default_record, and the value would be the report_id. Then I could do a query to get the report_id and then pull that record to show?
If that is what you meant, that makes sense. and should be easy to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.