[SOLVED] Erase oldest file?

rantsh

I have a crontab that creates a tar file with a backup of my site, now, I'm required to erase the oldest file after I generate a new backup... anyone know how can I determine the oldest file in a folder???

All my files are named something like

[code]
Backup_ddmmYYYY_tar.gz
[/code]

Thanks for any help you may provide

xargs basically takes standard input and appends it to another commands arguments. So yeah... the command you have does exactly what you want.

The first par....

[code]
ls -t -r -1 /var/log/kdm.log.*
[/code]

displays all files within /var/log beginning with kdm.log sorted by timestamp, oldest to newest in a single colum. It then pipes the output to the next part.....

[code]
head --lines 1
[/code]

which trims the output down to one file (the oldest one), then pipes it to xargs which appends the filename to the arguments of rm and executes it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.