target="_blank" in XHTML

AXiSS

Yes, it would be easier, but you won't get the same results in all browsers, whereas if you had standards then your page would look like you want it to look in all browsers.

If that were even true at all, I might actually consider using them...

What part don't you think is true? The part about getting the same results in all browsers or the part about making your own doctype?

Well, depending on how you page is coded it will or will not change the look in all browsers. You seem to have found a way for you to code for all browsers and make it look the same. The pages I make usually mean I have to use xhtml 1.1 strict, and even then, I sometimes need a small IE hack.

As for why bother with you own doctype, that was the main purpose of the original poster. The OP wanted to keep the page valid but still use target="_blank", this can be done by using a custom doctype.

Point taken... but I like to use my own methods of ensuring cross-browser compatability, without having to worry about the standards changing at any time and having to start all over again.

The standards won't change for any given doctype - that is why doctype switching is a tool some chose to use.  Standards may change in the future (I have always wanted to see acaption attribute for an image tag that would display under the pic!!!!) but if they do change then it will only be later versions of html/xhtml that will implement them - the old ones will still behave as they do now.

The best way to ensure cross browser compatability is to use a doctype that is a recognized standard - this is because the browsers are coded to standards dependant on the dtd.  even if you write your own it MAY choose to do something a little different.

BUt if you use xhtml 1.1 you don't have to hack. There maybe the odd faux column but that is not junk html or junk css - just a little extra, still valid, css thats all.

Then you can put the valid css, xhtml1.1 icons on your site for everyone to ignore or just think you are a geek....

;)

Why on earth would you hack for FF though?????? Bizarre

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.