Startig MySQL in RedHat 9

Arenium

Recently bought (yeah, i wanted the stickers :wink: ) RH9 and installed it. WOOHOO! This is great so far. I installed all packages at setup and have php and apache all set. In fact, it was already taken care of, all i had to do was type $ httpd start folder! I\'m thinking it\'s just a redhat 9 thing, because i checked and the package was installed.

Also, when i tried to run safe_mysqld i get

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql

030419 18:38:27  mysqld ended

Again, when i made a simple PHP file called mysql.php i get

Warning: Can\'t connect to local MySQL server through socket \'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock\' (111) in /var/www/html/mysql.php on line 2

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can\'t connect to local MySQL server through socket \'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock\' (111) in /var/www/html/mysql.php on line 2

Now is it just me, or does something conflict in all these tuts im reading. In that error and in the safe_mysqld message, they both refer to /var/lib/mysql instead of /usr/local/mysql/.

This just leaves me more in the clouds. GAH!

Thanks in advance for any help,

P.S.- So far, RH9 is excellent, rock solid and found ALL drivers and hardware better than windows

is anything under /var/lib/mysql? try and find the hostname.err file to get more information. also, look in, i think -- /etc/rc.d/init.d for a script with mysql in it\'s name, you can view it to find which directories it\'s pulling off of.

oh man, I\'m such a newb...all i hadta do was launch it with the complete path name

/etc/init.d/mysqld start

OK, got it all running, now just gotta secure this puppy:

At the present, i can login to phpMyAdmin with root and my password to see all db\'s, BUT, i can also login with any username i choose and no password, but see no DB\'s.

Technically, it\'s secure, but I don\'t want ANYBODY except root to have access, how can i do this? I\'ve RTFM, meaning, the documentation included with phpMyAdmin...to no avail so far

help...again?[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.