coming soon page

jcombs_31

I may have a deal to do a site for a musician (singer).  She mentioned a coming soon page while this site is under construction.  I thought about maybe a semi-realistic scene

http://www.multimedia-technologies.com/burnos/burnos.php

I posted this elsewhere and it was mentioned that the theme is too soft for a rock chick.  Any thoughts, opinions, ideas?

I think it's pretty cool, actually. The only thing I'd recommend is maybe making the actual background (the pattern) darker, or more "hard" as you mentioned. The overall theme for a coming soon page fits well, IMHO. I would be careful about the hard line where the background repeat ends... any way to make it seamless?

There are a couple things I know I need to fix. I had some shadows for the speakers that I removed because I had trouble making them realistic.  I didn't want to make the background too rough, but I could play with it a little. I can probably increase the size a little to make is seem more seamless.  What do you think about the overall colors?  I'm not sure about the bottom text either, maybe just leave the text in the poster?

As for text and color, I'd simply say this: if you have the decision made on the final site color scheme and text, use them for the coming soon page. If not, just use something that you (or, more appropriately, she likes). When it comes to a temporary page, I don't feel it's incredibly important to have your whole feel established immediately. I know others may disagree with this, but IMHO, it's not worth spending loads of time and effort trying to get a look and feel for the temporary page when it's going to establish a completely different look and feel from the final site.

I haven't talked with her about color details yet. I prefer to try  my way first and see if the client agrees.

Here is an updated version of the coming soon page with some different speakers and fixed the poster so the background doesn't blend with the wall.  Also removed the bottom text.

http://multimedia-technologies.com/burnos/burnos2.php

The concept is great, (particularly as a quick temp page).

As a musician myself, I personally would prefer seeing two amps instead of two speakers. Speakers seem a little "cheesy" and rinky dink for a performer.

Also, does she use a Fender "Fat Strat"? Is that hers in the picture? Performers are funny about their gear.  It will not matter if she is just a singer. But if she plays guitar and you choose the wrong kind ...

You are lucky doing a musician's site. You are relatively much freer of any design and layout constraints as you are with a business site.

On entertainment sites, people are much more forgiving about page weight and load times.

(LOL, this is why I still haven't gotten around to doing my own personal music site ... so used to business coding that I blank out when set free).

Have fun with this project. If you need it, there are some cool, free mp3-flash and .flv players available at www.jeroenwijering.com.

Your third page is, in my opinion, the best. A definite improvement. I was not going for the two speakers. I still see country, it has something to do with the guitar, but at the same time I can see rock. It seems to go both ways. How "hard-core" rock is she? Either way the layout is going her picture seems to match.

I'm not a big fan of the background texture. When I first say it I thought it was pixelated. I like the idea of a repeated background though.

are there any alternative pictures of her, perhaps "without" the mic? ie, just general poses? the fact that she's got a mic and no guitar just kinda puts her in the category of "well, i can sing but that's about it." Wheras having NOTHING would be better as the whole rock-chick thing would just be assumed.

as previously mentioned also by dbrimlow, if she does infact play guitar, find out what sort. even if the guitar was silhouetted, it'd still be recognisable to avid fans - and potential fans may feel a bit misled by the implication that she is/uses stuff that she doesnt really.

overall, the 3rd layout works the best. dark themes always do tend to fit in nicely with rock, just in this case she holds quite a soft, "pop" pose on a rock background.

good job though, as always.

cheers

I don't know if she even plays a guitar. It was simply cosmetics.  I didn't think she had to play a guitar to have it as part of the design.  I say rock will incorporate a guitar, drums, speakers, etc without the singer necessarily playing any of it. But I'm not musician, so I couldn't really say if this is something frowned upon. I appreciate the feedback. There are still some things I want to work on with the newer image.  I think I'll try to make the background more grungy and add some more contrast. As far as the guitar, I guess I can always ask, but haven't gone that far yet.

kinda swaying more into music-ville but trying to stay on topic - the les paul is definitely more recognisable outside the 'rock' audiience as well as in, so would be a much better bet than the ibanez picture.

if ever there was a cliche for a guitar picture, the fender strat (currently in the pic) is defintely it, although using it does pose some plus points as well.

again, i reckon it's a good idea to speak to her to find out whether she does. if not, then there's no harm in a) removing the guitar altogether and b) getting a pic without the mic - just a "pose"

ps @dbrimlow, ibanez (RG) and gibson les paul also my weapons of choice ;)

I like the 3rd one as well.  I know this might be really picky but can you clone the shadow off her arm? the one that's holding the mic?

If you have other poses of her I'm sure it would work better too. Like her looking 'out toward the crowd' kinda thing.

thanks for the pics, I don't know anything about guitars.  But, I would say that second pic looks more country than the the I'm currently using.

LOL ... actually (not to beat a dead horse; it looks fine as is with the Ibanez) but redbullmarky is correct - a LesPaul (the "second pic") is more recognizable as a "rock" guitar. Few country music guitarists use LPs, they tend more towards Fender Telecasters and Strats.

But I like the new splash anyway and am looking forward to seeing the finished site.

You can get away with using Flash on entertainment/artist sites, too. A decent, cheap, quick and easy flash intro page program is trendy flash (http://www.trendyflash.com/).

(here's an example I made for a guitarist friend two years ago - http://bwmac-recording.com/intro/intro/ )

Dave

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.