Using PHP to convert whitespace to HTML

offsprg01

ok so here's the set up i'm taking entries from a db the client has provided and showing them in the web page. only problem is the client use tab and returns to format the text and we al know that won't work in html so.....

i need to take the white space and turn it in to html. anybody have any scripts i could use to do that? i haven't the slightest clue where to start. i've been trying google for hours now but mu goggle fu is failing me. :( any help would be appreciated.

here's a link to an example.

http://www.harwoodmarketinggroup.com/WIP/aboutGrande/pressroomdetials.php?recordID=3058&YEAR=2003&QUARTER=04

I should also warn that text inside of pre tags will stretch page elements wide even if they have a CSS width attribute.

You can use PHP's wordwrap() function to get around this.

I've not tried it, but I would guess using the CSS overflow, or whatever it is, property might fix it as well.

well then how do i get the bold stuff to format correctly without htmlentites()

sorry if this problem is trivial but i've never had this issue before so i am not used to converting preformatted text at run time.

so here's my thiking if htmlentites() returns <bold></bold> why doesn't the browser execute the html commands like it does if i just echo out a var that is equal to <bold>some text</bold>

got is fixed i added this to the style sheet.

pre {

white-space: pre-wrap;      /* css-3 */

white-space: -moz-pre-wrap;  /* Mozilla, since 1999 */

white-space: -pre-wrap;      /* Opera 4-6 */

white-space: -o-pre-wrap;    /* Opera 7 */

word-wrap: break-word;      /* Internet Explorer 5.5+ */

}

ok so i have two new issues.

pre {

text-align: justify;

}

is not working on the pre tags. it's defaulting to left align. i can use

pre {

text-align; right;

}

however and it align every thing to the right. does anyone know how to make the text justify?

also: safari 1.3 completely ignores the word wrap. is there any work around for that? i cannot use php's wordwrap() as it is applied before the css font styling and thus make the words wrap as if they were still a fixed width font, resulting the the text only going half way across the page before it breaks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.