[SOLVED] Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

helpmeplease2

Hi, I am new to MySQL so this is probably an easy fix for you.

I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 with PHP 5.2, the newest MySQL and the newest Apache. I have started up mysqld through the command prompt but when entering in "mysql" I get the error "Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' (using password: NO)". I do not have a password so whats wrong?

Do I need to do anything else before I can start creating databases?

Don't use the mysql command on its own. You should provide at least 1 or two paramters mainly the username (-u username here) followed by the -p parameter. So the command will look something like this:

mysql -u root -p

If the root user has a password set mysql will prompt for a password then you just enter in your password and hit enter again (if the user doesn't have a password it will skip asking for the password). If the password is correct your will be logged into MySQL.

If you use the mysql command on its own it will use the defaults set in the my.ini

I just did this:

# To install the server as a Windows service manually, execute this in a

# command line shell, e.g.

# mysqld --install MySQLXY --defaults-file="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server X.Y\my.ini"

#

# And then execute this in a command line shell to start the server, e.g.

# net start MySQLXY

But its still not working. I dont know what to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.