I have a suggestion (again)

hvle

The quick reply should be longer (vertically), maybe 3x,4 x longer.  Its pretty hard to scroll with long text.

If you're posting anything 3-4 times longer than the quick reply box, it's not really a quick reply anymore, is it? ;) When you get to that length of text, you're probably better off using the full post reply anyway.

I have to admit getting it bigger is better but kinda throw away the layout a bit.

The best way would be having a custom value on the profile that control the size of this box (personalize thing).

And of course use the old size for default, which make the layout look a little better. 

I'm not asking too much am i, anyway, it is just a suggestion. LOL

I have to admit getting it bigger is better but kinda throw away the layout a bit.

The best way would be having a custom value on the profile that control the size of this box (personalize thing).

And of course use the old size for default, which make the layout look a little better. 

Some people don't know when to quit while they're ahead.

Man that's huge but I aint complaining, I agree that the quick reply box was quite small ,however the quick reply should only be used to post short an simple replies not great big ones.

I thought of a better idea though on this. Rather than providing a standard size of the quick reply box allow us to change the size we want it do by clicking a addition (+) button/link to increase the size of the textbox by 10 or so lines at a time and then a minus (-) button/link to decrease the text box 10 lines at a time - a bit like how IPB has it. This should only require a bit of javascript to do this. That way you can increase/decrease the size of the box to fit your post while replying to a thread.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, wildteen, but next thing you know, people are going to want other things added to it, like a little box to the side with some smilies, or some quick bbcode links, etc.. and next thing you know, the quick reply box will end up looking exactly like the full reply box, and at that point in time (and even long before that point in time), we start running into superfluous codes/features. 

like i say - the ONLY problem i find with the quick reply box it's the only place that 'quoted' messages can be written - unless you know the full ins and outs of the [ quote ] tag to do it yourself or just copy the text, press the 'proper' reply button and paste it. ok, it's not that much hard work, but still.

personally, i reckon it'd be better if clicking on "Quote" never used the quick reply area at all, and went straight to the actual reply page, but that might be just me.

well, at the end of the line where you can click "quote" there is a checkbox.  You can check the checkbox and click the reply button, and it will automatically be added to the reply box on the reply screen. You can even do it for multiple posts, just like clicking the quote button for several posts, and it appears in the quick reply box.

edit: okay, actually, for some reason that doesn't seem to work. Though I don't know why..it works that way on other boards... however, if you click the reply button, there are "Insert Quote" links on every post, under the reply box, where you can click it and it auto-inserts the quotes in the reply box. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you, wildteen, but next thing you know, people are going to want other things added to it, like a little box to the side with some smilies, or some quick bbcode links, etc.. and next thing you know, the quick reply box will end up looking exactly like the full reply box, and at that point in time (and even long before that point in time), we start running into superfluous codes/features. 

How about we just remove the normal reply box, and put all that stuff in the quick reply.

How about we just remove the normal reply box, and put all that stuff in the quick reply.

Then what about previews? They are handled in the "normal" reply box.

I thought of a better idea though on this. Rather than providing a standard size of the quick reply box allow us to change the size we want it do by clicking a addition (+) button/link to increase the size of the textbox by 10 or so lines at a time and then a minus (-) button/link to decrease the text box 10 lines at a time - a bit like how IPB has it. This should only require a bit of javascript to do this. That way you can increase/decrease the size of the box to fit your post while replying to a thread.

This is excellent idea!

like i say - the ONLY problem i find with the quick reply box it's the only place that 'quoted' messages can be written

In the regular reply box, if you look below it in the list of previous messages, each one has an "Insert Quote" link in the UR corner. Click that.

like i say - the ONLY problem i find with the quick reply box it's the only place that 'quoted' messages can be written

In the regular reply box, if you look below it in the list of previous messages, each one has an "Insert Quote" link in the UR corner. Click that.

Or turn the quick reply box off.

sure i understand the actual BBCode button that inserts

tags, but when you actually quote a person by clicking 'Quote', it actually pulls the info through such as who made the quote and what time,etc, making it easier to see who's talking about what and in reply to who, etc.

sure i understand the actual BBCode button that inserts

tags, but when you actually quote a person by clicking 'Quote', it actually pulls the info through such as who made the quote and what time,etc, making it easier to see who's talking about what and in reply to who, etc.

I'm not sure I understand - that Insert Quote link will do precisely that. That's what I used in this post...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.