Smarty Help

xyn

Hey Guys,

Those of you who are formiliar with Smarty Templates (http://smarty.php.net)

Could you please help me, because I'm slightly stuck...

Basically i create my object and arrange everything correctly, and nothing happens

Page_Test.php

<?php
include("Plug.class.php"); // This is one hing i haven't got...

$plug = new Smarty; //Object created

$plug->assign('U_NAME', 'Paul');
$plug->assign('AGE', '25');

//Display it
$plug->display("form.tpl");
?>

form.tpl

<html>
<head>
<title>User Info</title>
</head>
<body>

User Information:<p>

Name: {U_NAME}<br>

</body>
</html>

I'm confused.

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but here it goes, When i used smarty last i had to replace the <?php ?> tags with {php} {/php}

That's only if you're including actual PHP script within the template itself. In the case of xyn, though, he's using an external tpl file, so he shouldn't have to worry with that step.

@xyn - The "one thing you haven't got" seems to be your problem. You must be including the Smarty class on your page somewhere to be able to use it. Unless your Plug page you're including is actually extending the Smarty class itself, you're stuck. You have to include the Smarty class definition file, and then you can create the new Smarty object.

@xyn - The "one thing you haven't got" seems to be your problem. You must be including the Smarty class on your page somewhere to be able to use it. Unless your Plug page you're including is actually extending the Smarty class itself, you're stuck. You have to include the Smarty class definition file, and then you can create the new Smarty object.

Any ideas what this "Class definition file" is / looks like? Orhow i can create it :S

(I'm very new to this Smarty Engine)

Any ideas what this "Class definition file" is / looks like? Orhow i can create it :S

(I'm very new to this Smarty Engine)

Umm... that's actually the core of Smarty. That's what you have to download and install. Have you gone through the tutorials or the crash course on the smarty website? That takes you through installation and setup of your first Smarty script... might be very useful at this point.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.