crontab help

aye

hallo, for the last couple of days i have been trying to set up a cronjob to run a php script bur failed miserably.. ive tried all kind of things, from which ive read should work, but it does NOT. or.. not for me at least :(. ive also tried using wget, to run the script from the webserver, which works fine (so there is, probably, not any problem with my cron settings), but it feels more convenient running the script directly through cron rather than having wget fetch the website (takes up more resources as well maybe? after all i will run my script once every five minutes..).

Ok, i will try to list all the things, that ive tried..

*/5 * * * * php -q /etc/crawler/index.php

in crontab (dont know about that quite flag, read somewhere that you should use it with the command line version of php, which i have)

*/5 * * * * php /etc/crawler/index.php

in crontab

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php /etc/crawler/index.php

and

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /etc/crawler/index.php

in crontab

*/5 * * * * /etc/crawler/index.php

in crontab and

#!/usr/bin/php -q

/

#!/usr/bin/php

on the first line of the php script

ok, now im quite new to running php scripts through cron (actually its my first time :)), so ive probably forgotten to add something.. any ideas? help would be greately appreciated :)

hi, im using a dedicated server and ive access to all directorys. sorry if i was unclear, but when running the script from wget, im running the script from a different location (/var/www/html/crawler/index.php). in any case, if i run "php /etc/crawler/index.php" from terminal, the script runs as it should, which confuses me even more; isnt that the exact line cron should run as well?

isnt that the exact line cron should run as well

Yes.

If you place the shebang (#!/usr/bin/php -q) on the very first line of the script you will however not need to tell cron which application (php) to run the file with.

Are you sure php is in /usr/bin/php? Sometimes it can be in /usr/local/bin/php. Also, make sure the file has execute permissions (I'm sure you have already).

Take a look at your logs to see what cron has to say.....

sudo grep cron /var/log/messages | tail -50

PS: Keeping a script in /etc is a bad idea. Its just not the right location for it. Ide put the script within /usr/local/bin/.

Are you sure php is in /usr/bin/php? Sometimes it can be in /usr/local/bin/php. Also, make sure the file has execute permissions (I'm sure you have already).

yeap, used 'which php' to get the php path. file permissions is 755

Take a look at your logs to see what cron has to say.....

sudo grep cron /var/log/messages | tail -50

this is the cron output: Feb 13 15:45:01 c80-217-170-126 crond[31151]: (root) CMD (php /etc/crawler/index.php)

PS: Keeping a script in /etc is a bad idea. Its just not the right location for it. Ide put the script within /usr/local/bin/.

ok, ill change that. not very good at linux directorys  ;)

ok, i put a simple mysql query in my script to see if it actually was running and yes, youre right, it is running.. anyhow, its an indexing script, looking for links on the net to certain files and then downloading them to the server. its quite an intricate script with above 1000 lines of code (in 13 separate files), so i dont feel like posting it here  :).

ok, so the script is running, but normally it indexes about thousand files / day with wget, but now, after two days running directly from cron, it hasn't indexed a single file! :( could there be any port problems when not run from the webserver or something?

Yep.

Otherwise, and easier solution might be to wrap the call to your script in a bash script. eg;

/usr/bin/crawler.sh

#!/bin/bash

if [[ -d /etc/crawler ]] ; then
  cd /etc/crawler
  if [[ -x index.php ]] ; then
    php -q index.php
  fi
fi
exit 0

Then just have cron call this script. eg;

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/crawler.sh

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.