header ("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=".$thefile);
    header ("Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary");

$fopen = fopen($thefile);
    fpassthru($fopen);
    fclose ($fopen);
}

downloadFile("filename");
[/code]

Ok when this code is run it is supposed to download the file. It does exactly that. but, this code is on a page called users.php, all it does is download the internet explorer source for this pages code. Why is it doing this

Well its a file manager. I want the user to click the download button next to any file and download the file. I tested this with a zip file also, it downloaded the file but would not open it. I then tried a php file and it downloaded it but not the actual code file but the source from IE. Dont know why its doing this. any file i download it wont open it or it opens as a load of crap

Well, I'm not an fopen expert, but I believe you have 2 problems here. First, .zip is a binary format and you're streaming ascii data to the file. You need to use fopen($filename, 'rb') to open a binary file.

For the .php file problem, when it "downloads", I'm not sure.. I tried it here and I get the raw code, as expected..

Also, as a side note, I get an error if I call fopen with only one argument. The string mode argument is required.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.