Work vs School - Who wins??

makeshift_theory

ok maybe not the best examples of people - apart from Branson who started from scratch - but my point still stands. There's countless examples of rags to riches types, too.

Again, maybe it varies from country to country how the recruitment methods work - personally, I've placed both qualified and unqualified people into jobs based on their experience, both inside AND out of the IT industry. It also depends much on the size of the company. Larger companies can tend to afford support and training schemes or can afford to at least allow day release to study. "Investment in People" accreditation goes a long way with many companies to attract good people. Smaller companies who can't afford the gamble of taking someone who might not be able to hit the ground running tend to just stick to only the qualified.

TBH, it's one of those "this vs. that" arguments that's always gonna come with some bias. Degree holders will swear by a degree. Non-degree holders will swear by not having one if they've done alright.

Still.

Bottom line is this I suppose.  Me personally my goal is to get into video game development.  I also have a thirst for knowledge and school helps quench that thirst as well as present new challenges and further myself as a individual.  Is it possible to get somewhere without a degree, hell yes.  However with the programming field being so overrun these days it's good to have paper and experience on your side.  Besides it couldn't hurt either way haha.

Sorry if this is a little late, but I just caught your post...

First of all it sounds like your boss is an idiot. He feels threatened by you and if you get a degree he will either have to pay you more, or lose you...SO he doesn't want you to get the degree so those 2 things won't happen and you can keep working for him for crappy pay while he rides you hard into the ground...

Currently I do not have a degree, I'm taking my last 2 classes now to finish up my AS (after 4 years part time). I have a full time job as a Systems Manager. They were looking for someone young that kept up on technology and that could bring them more into the 21st century...I don't get paid the greatest amount for what I do by any means BUT I am building LOTS of experience and that's what counts.

In the mean time I have a "Full Time" web/computer tech business on the side that keeps me very busy and that I've worked very hard to build. Hopefully in less then 2 years I can be out on my own doing that.

So my thought is...pay off your bills like you said and stabalize yourself to where you can get by on a part time job and continue to go to school. If your employer doesn't like that then it won't hurt you at all to leave. Getting a degree will not hurt you at all. I say go for it and better yourself.

Sorry if this is a little late, but I just caught your post...

First of all it sounds like your boss is an idiot. He feels threatened by you and if you get a degree he will either have to pay you more, or lose you...SO he doesn't want you to get the degree so those 2 things won't happen and you can keep working for him for crappy pay while he rides you hard into the ground...

Currently I do not have a degree, I'm taking my last 2 classes now to finish up my AS (after 4 years part time). I have a full time job as a Systems Manager. They were looking for someone young that kept up on technology and that could bring them more into the 21st century...I don't get paid the greatest amount for what I do by any means BUT I am building LOTS of experience and that's what counts.

In the mean time I have a "Full Time" web/computer tech business on the side that keeps me very busy and that I've worked very hard to build. Hopefully in less then 2 years I can be out on my own doing that.

So my thought is...pay off your bills like you said and stabalize yourself to where you can get by on a part time job and continue to go to school. If your employer doesn't like that then it won't hurt you at all to leave. Getting a degree will not hurt you at all. I say go for it and better yourself.

Thanks, that was a very influencial read.  There is no doubt in my mind that my manager is an idiot in fact he is the reason I'm by myself in the position I am in now.  There is usally two people in my role, one to write documentation and one developer which is me.  Our documentor just quit so I'm handling 20+ sites, programming 5, programming 2 applications for the business itself, and manging web design customers as well.  IMO, way too much work for 14 bucks an hour...

You are very welcome :)

There is one good thing about staying with this job...It will help you get a new one later on down the road. Document EVERYTHING that you do on every project. So when you go into your next interview you can say "I managed X many sites...I did (this) for each site...and (this) is what I can offer YOU when you employ me" Your new boss will pick up that you know how to manage your time and how to reach your objectives when you need to. Your new employer will respect that...

Good luck with everything! :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.