Query returns column name instead of row values

doni49

This is a code snippet from my PHP file.
[code]
        $query = "SELECT 'setName', 'fields' FROM userFieldSets WHERE user_id='$uid'";
        $result = @mysql_query ($query) or die ('I cannot get fields from the database because: ' . mysql_error());
        $row = mysql_fetch_array ($result, MYSQL_NUM);

if ($row) { // A match was made.
            echo "0:  " . $row[0] . "<br>";
            echo "1:  " . $row[1] . "<br>";
        }        
[/code]

It shows this in my browser.
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
0: setName
1: fields
[/quote]

This is copy/pasted from phpMyAdmin.
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[b]id user_id tblName setName fields
[/b]1 1 mainIndex Default 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,13,14
2 1 propertyAmtsDue Default 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,13,14
3 1 propertyContact Default 1,2,3,4,5,6

[/quote]

That's strange. I only put them in there because I was getting error messages that there was something wrong with the syntax.

When I put them in the error message went away.

Is "Fields" a reserved name or something?

While waiting to hear from someone, I kept trying different things. I changed "Fields" to "Flds" and still got the column names anyway. But then as soon as I took the quotes back out, it worked fine (with it still using "Flds").

Thanks for the help.

Yes, FIELDS is reserved -- the "correct" way to request such columns is with backticks (e.g. `fields`); however, the best practice is to simply avoid using these to begin with. wickning1 give you a link to a list of these.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.