Anyone taken the ZEND php training?

suttercain

I am studying for the exam - I got two study books and I did a practice test. The practice test was much harder than the book led me to believe it would be. The training however, is much too expensive for me to consider, so I'm not going to do it - if you do, please let me know how it goes.

When are you planning on taking the exam?

I am far off from the exam. But I am trying to get my work to pay for the course. I wanted to do it in person, but the only place on the west coast is in Arizona and I'm in Los Angeles. My work won't pay for that, but they are considering the online courses.

If I take it, I'll see how much I have gained then I can see how far away from the exam I will be.

I would love to hear from people who have taken the courses online or in person. Was it worth it? Did you walk away with it with more knowledge on PHP?

For $2000.00, these are fair questions.

I got 2 years of college paid for by scholarships. That will get you an associates in Computer Programming.

Scholarships and $2000 are two completely different things. Besides that, an associates degree is not in the same ballpark as having a BS or MS in Computer Science or related field. I'm not saying that it's not as good by any means, just different animals. I'll support jesirose on this one, $2000, while a lot of money, is nowhere near what it would cost someone for college coursework at an accredited institution that's worth its salt. I've checked into some grad work at Clemson (not a nationally known school for its tech department), and I'd easily spend $2-3K per year for coursework.

Check out some statistics in college pricing:

Fifty-six percent of full-time students enrolled in public four-year colleges and universities attend institutions that charge published in-state tuition and fees between $3,000 and $6,000.

If you follow the link for that quote, you'll see that the average 4 year private school cost in 2006-07 is over $22K. Definitely won't be getting that degree for $2,000 ;)

I don't mean to belabor the point, but working in the educational realm, it hits a little close to home when you start talking about "cheap" education.

In response to the OP, I'd love to have the chance to take the Zend training and get certified, but that hasn't happened yet, and I can't see it happening in the too near future.

I was just curious. You stated that education was "Free" in Denmark. That is not true if you pay taxes. It's like Canadians saying they get "Free" health care. They don't. They pay higher taxes.

I'm not debating if it's right or wrong for a government to pay for services. I am just stating... it's not free.

• 1 month later...

well i was about to try the Zend certification exam towards the second half of last year.

i did the practice test and it was alright. but that was for PHP4.

i got in touch with the people at Zend and they advised me to go for PHP5. i don't think i know enough about PHP5 to do the exam just yet. so about 3 weeks ago, work was less heavy and so i have more time to myself so i've begun learning PHP5. it seems alright so far. just a few more things to remember...and i have 4 second goldfish memory :/

anyway, in about a month, our office is getting down some people who do Zend training in our neighboring continent (India) to train us in PHP5 and that lasts approximately 10 days. so if things go as planned, I hope to be Zend certified in 2 months. that would actually make me the first Zend certified engineer in Sri Lanka :)

i think studying for the exam will give you a little extra knowledge on the internals of the Zend engine. i had worked with PHP for about 4 years before i started studying for the PHP4 version and i learnt a bunch of things i didn't even know existed.

the only problem is, depending on the IT culture around your area, i'm not sure how many people will recognize the Zend certification. you can't say it's as popular as RedHat certification or Java certification.

especially in Sri Lanka...everytime i mention the word "Zend" people think i run a head shop :/

Also, i don't think you have to take the training course. i bought the recommended book and tried everything that book suggested and if you couple that with your personal experience with PHP (and if you actually have an affinity for PHP), you should fair well at the exam.

I am one of those people that learn more from a class then the book by itself. So I think this may be good for me while others are good with just books.

Will you let me know how the Zend on site training goes? I'd like to know how that is.

Thanks.

I am one of those people that learn more from a class then the book by itself. So I think this may be good for me while others are good with just books.

Will you let me know how the Zend on site training goes? I'd like to know how that is.

Thanks.

i can never sit still :) which is why i opted for practical use and the book to bring myself up to date on PHP5.

that being said, i wonder how i'm going to sit in one place for the on site training...if there's a lot of food around, that should be enough motivation for me :)

yeah sure i'll let you know how it goes. if i get soft copy material, i will definitely post it here.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.