advertisement

I am sorry this is none of my business, but I just do not get it. You have a large image advertisement that is not very usable and bothers very much. why do not you put text advetisements on top, bottom and center of your forum.  This would be more usable and would not distruct that much. I could show you a sample on another SMForum, but afraid that would be considered as advertisement :).

This has been asked many times and each time the admins said that it wouldn't be changed. Besides, I don't think it is particularly intrusive, in fact I almost never look at it. But if you don't want it, then why don't you go donate some money each month, I'm sure they could tell you the amount of money they make from the ads.

Once again, the concept here (as it is everywhere else under the eSun) is that someone out there has to pay for the site being up.  In order to keep the users from having to pay, ads are placed.  That's the easy part of the concept that everybody gets.  What people don't seem to get is ad visibility. What's the point in putting ads up that nobody will see?  Why would companies pay anybody to put ads up that nobody is going to see? 

Now, you may say you get it, but obviously you don't; otherwise, you wouldn't be complaining about how "bothersome" they are.  I'm not trying to be mean.  I'm just tired of people always going places, and are more than happy to exploit the free-ness of the place, and yet complain about things like ads.  If you want an ad-free, or ad-invisible environment, then find somewhere that offers a paid subscription service.  That way, you can pay them $x.xx a month or whatever, and login to an ad-free place. 

>>I'm sure they could tell you the amount of money they make from the ads.

Fat chance.

The ads aren't moving or getting changed.  People don't donate enough to keep the site up, so we have to support it using other means.

If they ads covered the code blocks it would be worse.  However they do that to prevent it from causing a problem.  None of the ads are of adult material so it's nothing offensive.  It's really nothign to worry about.  As far as code blocks, all it does is ad an extra 2 seconds (or less) to scroll down past the ad, and in most instances you don't even need to do that.

IMO, those adverts are the fantastic. Some are just hilarious, some are pretty usefull. Either way, I like to have a look myself. Google ads generally suck very bad and just ruin things - but these ones are genious.

However - if you don't like them, they're easily disposed of permanently by triple-clicking the ad quickly.

Not only do they disappear, but a picture of Kate Winslet naked appears in its place. Honest!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, they disappear with single-clicking, double-clicking and triple-clicking. They get you to another page ;)

??? for some reason, clicking on them once or twice doesnt work for me. maybe someone else could try it and tell me if it works?

I'd test this, except I'm at work.

ahhhh dont worry about that. it has two three special filters.

1, if you're at work, the "www.HowToImpressYourBossAndMakeHimOrHerRich.com" appears instead.

2, if you're a female, the Kate Winslet pic is replaced with Brad Pitt

3, [new!!] if you actually bothered to click on the link in number one above, then you missed the point and should be fired anyway.

;D ;D ;D

He makes a valid point.  With SMF Ads you can put a row of text links at the top below the menu, at the bottom, and then one after the first post that looks like google replied to your thread.  You can even edit the pallet so it looks the same color. I did it on my forums http://lampgeekz.netgeekz.net/forum/ . And since we are mainly going off impressions here, that is 3 impressions per thread view, and 2 per board view.

Yeah, they disappear with single-clicking, double-clicking and triple-clicking. They get you to another page ;)

??? for some reason, clicking on them once or twice doesnt work for me. maybe someone else could try it and tell me if it works?

I'd test this, except I'm at work.

ahhhh dont worry about that. it has two three special filters.

1, if you're at work, the "www.HowToImpressYourBossAndMakeHimOrHerRich.com" appears instead.

2, if you're a female, the Kate Winslet pic is replaced with Brad Pitt

3, [new!!] if you actually bothered to click on the link in number one above, then you missed the point and should be fired anyway.

;D ;D ;D

That sounds hilarious!

Ted

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.