World of Warcraft

.josh

World of Warcraft SUCKS.

It sucks time away like it was only 5 minutes, but really it's already the next day.

Here is the Warptweet.com's Official Notary Sealed World of Warcraft Cycle:

Buy Items

Fight

Fight

Fight

Level Up

Choose Abilities

Buy Items

Fight

Fight

Fight

Level Up

Choose Abilities

Buy Items

Fight

Fight

Fight

Level Up

Choose Abilities

Buy Items

Fight

Fight

Fight

-------------

NEXT DAY

-------------

REPEAT

well i guess if your sole intentions for playing is to level up and be the biggest best most badass character with the biggest best most badass stuff, then sure, I'd agree with that.  In fact, you could argue that that's pretty much the case for any game, so why play?  I just play to mess around and have fun.  I've played that game for a total of 2 years now and I have never gotten a character past level 40. 

I think somewhere along the lines people forgot the point of games: to have fun.  And sorry, I won't accept the "game devs don't make good games" argument, either.  How about actually sitting down and playing a game for the purpose of passing the time and having fun, instead of trying to "win," then get back to me on that. 

Games are supposed to be time sinks.  That's the point.  It's not like a job where you work all day long etc.. if you can't help but look at games from that perspective, then you need to untrain yourself.  I suggest you play some games where there is no element of skill whatsoever involved.  Pure chance, nothing else.  Like the card game War.  Just play it.  Over and over again.  Find some satisfaction from it.  That is your first step in appreciating games for what they are.  Go forth, young grasshoppers.

Or go download (or telnet to) nethack and play that game.  It's a nice little dungeon crawler where all of the cards are so completely stacked against you that it's a matter of when, not if, you die.  And there's no coming back when you die.  You'll learn to not be so frustrated at stuff and learn to just enjoy stuff in the moment.  Also, it's a really cool game.  Arguably the best damn game every invented. 

I thought about getting WoW, but I am pretty violently opposed to paying for a game more than once.  Other than that it looks like a pretty cool game.  That's the main reason I don't like online only games. The main exception is Guild Wars, and I have definately thought about getting that game.  It looks pretty sweet.

CV, I agree with you to a large extent, but not quite all the way.

I used to play nothing but console games, especially RPGs.  I used to hate PC games with the few exceptions of C&C and SimCity.  When everyone was "oooh-la-la"-ling over Doom, I thought it looked like a turd.

Freshman year at UCSC, my room mate was a huge PC gamer.  He showed me online play in Quake and Starcraft and that was that, haven't touched a console game since.  I usually play no more than 2 games at a time.  I have one FPS that I resort to when I just want plain old fun.  Then I have another game where I try and be the best because try as I might, I can't always shutdown that competitive spirit inside me.

For a long time that game was DAoC.  I played on the PvP server and loved it.  When Mythic started to screw the game up with bad expansions, I moved on.  No more MMOs I said.  Then my fiance, who was vehemently against DAoC from the moment she met me, decides she wants to play WoW.

So we start playing.  I'll give WoW credit where credit is due; that was the first time I enjoyed leveling up a character in a long, long time.  Beautiful scenery, fun quests, lots of character in the game.  But the fun ends there really and for me, once I level up 1 character I'm done leveling up.  The PvP in WoW has always lacked; the mechanics are just plain bad and always have been.  Further, Blizzard has no idea how to make PvP enjoyable IMO.  So I gave up on that aspect of the game.  I started end-game raiding.  While fun at first, it's just a huge timesink.

Now you said games are supposed to be time sinks and I agree; if you had something better to do you wouldn't be playing a game in the first place.  But the amount of work WoW is to make it anywhere after hitting the level cap is just plain ridiculous.

Anyways, here are the golden rules of MMOs:

1) Never make a stealther (or rogue)

2) Never make a hybrid

3) Never make a pet class

4) Never make a caster

In fact, just always play pure tank or pure healer.  They're the only classes that are never totally f***ed in design.

games are supposed to be time sinks.  That's the point.  It's not like a job where you work all day long etc.. if you can't help but look at games from that perspective, then you need to untrain yourself.  I suggest you play some games where there is no element of skill whatsoever involved.  Pure chance, nothing else.  Like the card game War.  Just play it.  Over and over again.  Find some satisfaction from it.  That is your first step in appreciating games for what they are.  Go forth, young grasshoppers.

The heart of a true gamer. The ability to appreciate games for what they can be.

A lifestyle as opposed to a hobby.

Erm... I'm not sure if it's good that games are your lifestyle. You'd think that you might be able to find a little more productive, worth-while lifestyle?

I think CV is trying to say that games are supposed to be fun, not a job that you have to work at full-time.

I think CV is trying to say that games are supposed to be fun, not a job that you have to work at full-time.

Which is exactly why WoW isn't all that fun, it becomes a job.  Unless you're happy leveling up one character after another, constantly completing the same quests, then it runs out of new things to do rather quickly.  And honestly, how many times can you collect 15x Troll's Blood, 10x Magic Mushrooms, 2x Some_Other_Item and still be enthralled by it?

Once you hit the level cap, the whole game is gear oriented.  As far as PvP goes you can have great skills but lose to some noob who happened to do more PvE, which is retarded.  If you want the best gear, and honestly who plays an RPG and doesn't care about their gear, you have to PvE.  You can't even buy the gear off the auction house or other players because of the stupid Bind on Pickup system, where once a character "owns" a piece of gear it can never be given to another character.  I'm not going to bother on what a pain it is to have to run the same dungeon over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again hoping you'll finally get that last piece of gear you want from there.  Then when you finally reach a point where you're mostly happy with your gear, Blizzard releases new content with new gear that totally blows everything else away and you start all over again.

There's a list of about 20 things they'd have to do before I seriously considered playing that game again.  I used to like Blizzard's games because they were fun, fun, fun.  But WoW isn't about fun.  From a business standpoint it's a huge success, but from a fun factor it rates with rubbing my nuts against sand paper on one side and cactus on the other.

Now, I may have given you the impression that I want things to come quickly and easily, which is entirely untrue.  I have nothing against investing some time into my character so that I can be that uber cool internet bad ass.  I don't have any problem with the time it took to level a toon, I don't have any problem with doing quests, I don't have any problem with running some dungeons at end game to get some gear, etc.

Here is what I do have a problem with.  The first time I went to the Molten Core dungeon was 11-14-2005 and the last time I went there where I got a piece of gear I wanted was 6-14-2006; I know the exact dates from the DKP records from my guild website.  That's 7 months of the same god damned dungeon, one time per week (because of reset timers), with 39 other people.  Do you have any idea how tedious that is?  To take 40 people every week into a dungeon, kill 10 bosses, and only receive ~20 pieces of loot?  At best only half of the entire player base in the raid will get a piece of loot.  And as people get their items and redundant items drop, most of it ends up going to waste.  Towards the end of it you have 40 people spending 3 to 4 hours and out of the ~20 items, only a couple actually get taken.  The rest just gets disenchanted.  Now you said you won't accept the "game devs don't make good games" argument, but what do you call that type of design?  It was no accident.  WoW is not designed to be fun, it's designed to be a job.

Now you're counter-argument will most likely include, "But no one forced you to partake in that, it was all voluntary."  And to some extent that is true.  But like I said before, if you want the most out of WoW, you have to put in serious amounts of time to the point it becomes at least a part-time job.

If you still enjoy it though, kudos to you.

:D

I have a love/hate relationship with WOW.  I agree with all of the criticism above -- it's a time sink, PVP stinks, the endgame is attrocious, etc.  That's why when I get bored with it I suspend my account.  My characters still remain, but at least I'm not paying $15 a month for something I'm bored with.  I just started playing again, after having downloaded the expansion, and I'm having a fun time leveling a Blood Elf paladin.  It's a class I've never tried before and I'm loving the Blood Elf starting zone (even though the quests are still the same stuff I grew to ultimately dislike).  At the very least, the area is visually interesting.  When/if I get bored again, I'll just suspend my account and move on.  My characters will still be waiting for me when I inevitably return.

I have no problem stating that gaming is a lifestyle choice.  I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember.  Some of my first memories are of Frogger, Gorf, and Radar Rat Race on the old Commodore VIC-20 we had.  I actually enjoy the mostly solitary nature of gaming.  Since I'm disabled I tend to have very little time to just myself as an aide is more often than not hovering around me.  Gaming gives me an opportunity to escape from that.  It gives me a chance to both think and vent frustration.  Tekken (especially playing as Bryan Fury) is a great vehicle for relieving stress.  I know my limits, though, and I never let it affect my work or relationship with my family.  One can always save/hearth and quit.

• 3 months later...

Which is exactly why WoW isn't all that fun, it becomes a job.  Unless you're happy leveling up one character after another, constantly completing the same quests, then it runs out of new things to do rather quickly.  And honestly, how many times can you collect 15x Troll's Blood, 10x Magic Mushrooms, 2x Some_Other_Item and still be enthralled by it?

Once you hit the level cap, the whole game is gear oriented.  As far as PvP goes you can have great skills but lose to some noob who happened to do more PvE, which is retarded.  If you want the best gear, and honestly who plays an RPG and doesn't care about their gear, you have to PvE.  You can't even buy the gear off the auction house or other players because of the stupid Bind on Pickup system, where once a character "owns" a piece of gear it can never be given to another character.  I'm not going to bother on what a pain it is to have to run the same dungeon over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again hoping you'll finally get that last piece of gear you want from there.  Then when you finally reach a point where you're mostly happy with your gear, Blizzard releases new content with new gear that totally blows everything else away and you start all over again.

There's a list of about 20 things they'd have to do before I seriously considered playing that game again.  I used to like Blizzard's games because they were fun, fun, fun.  But WoW isn't about fun.  From a business standpoint it's a huge success, but from a fun factor it rates with rubbing my nuts against sand paper on one side and cactus on the other.

Now, I may have given you the impression that I want things to come quickly and easily, which is entirely untrue.  I have nothing against investing some time into my character so that I can be that uber cool internet bad ass.  I don't have any problem with the time it took to level a toon, I don't have any problem with doing quests, I don't have any problem with running some dungeons at end game to get some gear, etc.

Here is what I do have a problem with.  The first time I went to the Molten Core dungeon was 11-14-2005 and the last time I went there where I got a piece of gear I wanted was 6-14-2006; I know the exact dates from the DKP records from my guild website.  That's 7 months of the same god damned dungeon, one time per week (because of reset timers), with 39 other people.  Do you have any idea how tedious that is?  To take 40 people every week into a dungeon, kill 10 bosses, and only receive ~20 pieces of loot?  At best only half of the entire player base in the raid will get a piece of loot.  And as people get their items and redundant items drop, most of it ends up going to waste.  Towards the end of it you have 40 people spending 3 to 4 hours and out of the ~20 items, only a couple actually get taken.  The rest just gets disenchanted.  Now you said you won't accept the "game devs don't make good games" argument, but what do you call that type of design?  It was no accident.  WoW is not designed to be fun, it's designed to be a job.

Now you're counter-argument will most likely include, "But no one forced you to partake in that, it was all voluntary."  And to some extent that is true.  But like I said before, if you want the most out of WoW, you have to put in serious amounts of time to the point it becomes at least a part-time job.

If you still enjoy it though, kudos to you.

:D

You can play 10 minutes a day and get to level 70 with all the best gear in the game.

If you want to "beat" the game faster, then obviously it will take more time.

Noone holds a gun to your head saying "you MUST play 15 hours a day", though.

Yes, fun things tend to be addictive. That's a fact of life. Because most people like to have fun. And addictions tend to be timesinks. It's a fact of life, nothing specific to world of warcraft or even to games.

And noone forces you to make new characters over and over and do the same quests over and over either.

If it's not fun for you then go find another game, or maybe you just aren't meant to play games.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.