Write PHP Output Back to Form Textbox

supratwinturbo

Hi All,

I have a web form composing of textboxs for users to enter numbers into. After they press submit, I have a php script that processes the numbers and now echos back the output onto the page. I would like the php output to "echo" into a textbox of the form. How can I do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

It depends on how you are generating the page.  If your page comes from the .php file then it is slightly easier as you can just do...

<?php
$numbers1 = $_POST['numbers1'];
$numbers2 = $_POST['numbers2'];
?>
<form method="POST">
<label for="n1">Numbers #1 :</label><input type="text" id="n1" name="numbers1" value="<?php echo $numbers1; ?>" /></br>
<label for="n2">Numbers #2 :</label><input type="text" id="n2" name="numbers2" value="<?php echo $numbers2; ?>" /></br>
</form>

Or if you are using templates, you will need to flag up the globals scope, i.e.

<?php
globals $numbers1, $numbers2;

$numbers1 = $_POST['numbers1'];
$numbers2 = $_POST['numbers2'];

include(form.php);
?>

But without any more info, that's as far as I can help you, what is it exactly you are trying to do?

Hi Scotty,

Here is an example of what I am trying to do:

<head>
<title>Year/Age Calculator</title>
</head>
<body>

<form action="<?php echo($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); ?>" method="GET">
<label for="Age">Age :</label><input type="text" id="n1" name="age" value="<?php echo $age; ?>" /></br><br>
<label for="Year">Year Born :</label><input type="text" id="n2" name="year" value="<?php echo $year; ?>" /></br><br>
<input type="submit" name="YearBorn" value="Find Year Born" />
<input type="submit" name="FindAge" value="Find Your Age" />
</form>

<?php

$age = $_GET["age"];
$year = $_GET["year"];

$YearBorn = $_GET["YearBorn"];
$FindAge = $_GET["FindAge"];

if(isset($YearBorn))
{
$year = 2007 - $age;
echo "Year Born = $year";
}

if(isset($FindAge))
{
$age =  2007 - $year;
echo "Your Age = $age";
}

?>

</body>
</html>

So in the above code, there are two textboxes, one for entering a person's Age and one for entering a person's Year of Birth. For example, if I enter 30 into the Age TextBox, I would click on the "Find Year Born" button and the php script will return the year born which will be 2007-30 = 1977. Right now the code just echos the year born onto the screen. I would like it to echo the output into the Year Born Textbox instead. So Basically, if I enter a number into the Age Textbox and Click on "Find Year Born" button, the answer will appear in the Year Born Textbox. On the other hand, if I enter a number into the Year Born Textbox and Click on "Find Your Age" button, the answer will appear in the Age Textbox. I hope I made my question clearer and that you or someone can help me.

Thank you.

use it like this

<?php
$age = '';
$year = '';

$FindAge ='';
$YearBorn ='';

if(isset($_GET["age"]))
     $age= $_GET["age"];

if(isset($_GET["Year"]))
     $Year= $_GET["Year"];

if(isset($_GET["FindAge"]))

if(isset($_GET["YearBorn"]))

if(isset($YearBorn))
{
$year = 2007 - $age;
echo "Year Born = $year";
}

if(isset($FindAge))
{
$age =  2007 - $year;
echo "Your Age = $age";
}

?>

<label for="Age">Age :</label><input type="text" id="n1" name="age" value="<?php echo $age; ?>" /></br><br>
<label for="Year">Year Born :</label><input type="text" id="n2" name="year" value="<?php echo $year; ?>" /></br><br>
<input type="submit" name="YearBorn" value="Find Year Born" />
<input type="submit" name="FindAge" value="Find Your Age" />
</form>

Hi itsmeARRY,

Thank you for the help. I had to modify your code to get it to work, but you pointed me in the right direction. Here is the code I used:

<head>
<title>Year/Age Calculator</title>
</head>
<body>

<?php
$age = '';
$year = '';

$FindAge ='';
$YearBorn ='';
$Operation=$_GET["Operation"];

if(isset($_GET["age"]))
     $age= $_GET["age"];

if(isset($_GET["year"]))
     $year= $_GET["year"];

if(isset($_GET["FindAge"]))

if(isset($_GET["YearBorn"]))

if($Operation == "YearBorn")
{
$year = 2007 - $age;
}
else
if($Operation == "FindAge")
{
$age =  2007 - $year;
}

?>

<label for="Age">Age :</label><input type="text" name="age" value="<?php echo $age; ?>" /></br><br>
<label for="Year">Year Born :</label><input type="text" name="year" value="<?php echo $year; ?>" /></br><br>
<input type="submit" name="Operation" value="YearBorn" />
<input type="submit" name="Operation" value="FindAge" />
</form>

</body>
</html>

I am now trying to make the form remember which color (a select list) they selected before pressing any of the submit buttons. I entered this code into the form:

<select name="color">
<option value="red">red</option>
<option value="blue">blue</option>
</select></br>><br>

For example, if the user selects blue and then clicks on either one of the "submit" buttons, I want the form to remember/show the blue option. Right now the select list always goes back to red, the first choice. I tried doing a <?php echo $red; ?> and <?php echo $blue; ?> for the option value, but this does not work since the select list needs a value.

Thank you.

I wrote a function "fillInFormValues()" that makes this kind of thing easy.

You put the form in a PHP string:

$formHTML =<<<FORM_END

<form....>

... all the form stuff...

</form>

FORM_END;

And then you call:

$filledInHTML = fillInFormValues($formHTML, $_GET);

... and magic happens.  Your <selects> will be selected properly (based on what's in $_GET), your checkboxes will be checked properly...

Grab it from: http://www.skypaint.com/gavin/code/

(online examples are there, too).

Hi Gavinandresen,

Congratulations on the wonderful php function you have created. However, I wish to learn how to solve my problem with some basic php code that I can understand...I tried looking at how your code works and I am lost....sorry I am a total newbie to this. If it is possible can you please explain to me how to make php remember which <select> a user clicked?

Thank you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.