[SOLVED] email service

Ninjakreborn

Hmm, are they really good though.  I was assuming (You know what happens when we assume, so I could be wrong) that those were bad.  The reason I htought that, was if you change server's can't that mess everything up with your email, or no.  Is there something I am specifically missing, I don't fully understand the nature behind that.

I know shared and managed hosts have email service with it as well.

The only things you'll have to do are copy your address book over (export and import?) and tell everybody your new email address.

Oh, and naturally, use the new email interface. In the case of Gmail, you can even have your email client fetch the mail from Gmail and store it on your computer.

But why can't you use your webhost's email services?

Right now I am in hot mail plus, the paid account.  I want to change to something that.

1. 100% always receives emails sent to it

2. 100% always delivers emails to there location, unless it's a problem on that end

3. Has many powerful features,

4. Easy to keep information organized.

Hot mail has number 3-4 but there are too many possible issues.  I need something a lot more stable, I don't really want to rely on my web host, www.1and1.com.

This is a major issue.  I just want one that is reliable, not hot mail.  They are not reliable.  I never know when I am suppose to receive something I don't, I have this feeling I could have lost whole clients who never got my emails, or vice versa.

I just read your message below, I don't use the web host because I change often.  I am using 1and1 before then I used blue host.  After I get some money I am upgrading to a VPS, or managed server, maybe with 1and1 maybe something else.  I want to get a permanent, trustworthy, reliable (again permanent) email address.  One that will handle all my business/personal needs.  Something that is trustworthy, and not full of problems, and errors.  That has a proven winning streak.  Is GMail really good, do they do a lot better than hotmail, are they more reliable than hot mail.  Hot mail also has the built in virus scanner, I just wish I could make sure hot mail was secure and why this was happening, I have enough to worry about without having to worry about email.

Let me start out by saying that 1and1 is the single most reliable web host I have ever had the good fortune of working with, and I have never had a single problem with them, including emails.

That being said, Gmail has everything you're looking for in a free email service. We're talking about Google, for Pete's sake. They wouldn't be where they are today if they weren't reliable and effective. I believe Gmail has a built-in virus scanner, but I'm not sure - I haven't used it in ages. I don't like using webmail interfaces, so I always use a client to fetch my mail, and Gmail only supports fetching via POP3. If I can't use IMAP, I don't use the service; thus, Gmail is out. (for me) But since you're used to using Hotmail's interface, I'm sure you'll have no objections to using Gmail's web interface.

Edit after previewing: You don't need Gmail invites. It's free for everybody now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.